Sunday Tripleplay

wax32

Here are a few pictures I took in the last couple days...
http://www.zooxanthellae.com
Green Mandarinfish, Synchiropus splendidus
My wife actually took the picture of the mandarin, it is her favorite fish.
Fireshrimp, Lysmata debelius

The shrimp just molted last night, you can see 2 of his legs are pale... they were missing before he molted. I think the larger fireshrimp tore into him.

Zoanthids, Zoanthus
spp.
These zoanthids are growing pretty well, here is a picture from a month ago:

Zoanthids, Zoanthus
spp.

wax32

Thanks, that's one of 2 that we have. We also have a Spotted Mandarin:
Spotted Mandarinfish, Synchiropus picturatus

Two mandarins you say? Well, the spotted was the original one and it disappeared after a couple days in the tank. I thought it had died. Turns out it has spent the last 5 weeks in the overflow! I rescued it yesterday when my orange spotted blenny went missing... they were both in there along with a hermit crab that made it through hurricane Katrina and went missing a week or so ago.

my way

Two Manderines! You lucky SOB, nice pics. 5 weeks in the overflow,I bet he was hungry and happy to be back in the Living Room and out of the Closet.

wax32

She was actually fat when I took her out. Prolly had lots of pods and no competition in there.

wax32

I have a 250w MH with 20000k bulb and two 75w VHO actinics. The full tank shot was taken with flash, so don't judge by that.

teresaq

how do your madrines get along. I have a spotted female, and want to get a green male once my 150 is set up.

wax32

Today is the first day they have actually been together, since the spotted was in the overflow. They have been just going about their own business, just ignoring each other, sometimes they are looking at the same inch of rock at the same time, and it is like the other one isn't even there.

wax32

It looks like you have just Normal Output (NO) bulbs, like, the fixture you have is just a strip that came with the tank? If so no matter what kind of bulbs you put it in you aren't going to have enough light for corals. If you are just keeping fish then it doesn't really matter and you can use whatever color bulbs you want.
If you do want to keep corals you will need to buy a whole new fixture, one that takes the high wattage Power Compact (PC) fluorescent bulbs or Very High Output (VHO) fluorescent bulbs.

fishmamma

Everything looks great Wax, it looks as though it has been running for much longer than it has IMO. Any pics of that orange spotted blenny??

fishboy091

Originally Posted by wax32
It looks like you have just Normal Output (NO) bulbs, like, the fixture you have is just a strip that came with the tank? If so no matter what kind of bulbs you put it in you aren't going to have enough light for corals. If you are just keeping fish then it doesn't really matter and you can use whatever color bulbs you want.
If you do want to keep corals you will need to buy a whole new fixture, one that takes the high wattage Power Compact (PC) fluorescent bulbs or Very High Output (VHO) fluorescent bulbs.
the problem is the light fixture is connected to the hood in some way. i would have to get rid of the hood or get another fixture and bolt it to the hood. just for looks, would a 50/50 look better than a blue?

wax32

Originally Posted by fishmamma
Everything looks great Wax, it looks as though it has been running for much longer than it has IMO. Any pics of that orange spotted blenny??
Thanks! Ask and ye shall receive...
Orange Spotted Blenny, Istiblennius chrysospilos

wax32

Originally Posted by fishboy091
the problem is the light fixture is connected to the hood in some way. i would have to get rid of the hood or get another fixture and bolt it to the hood. just for looks, would a 50/50 look better than a blue?
If we are just talking looks, yes I think so. All blue makes it hard to look at things.