Sunlight from window and algae....

saltwater8

Just wondering exactly what is ok and what isn't ok as far as sunlight from a window and algae...
Is indirect sunlight ok? Meaning there is sunlight coming from the window that is lighting the room, but there is no sunlight directly hitting the tank...
I mean do people who have their set-ups in their living room have the shades drawn all day?
Thanks as always!

C

civileng68

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
Just wondering exactly what is ok and what isn't ok as far as sunlight from a window and algae...
Is indirect sunlight ok? Meaning there is sunlight coming from the window that is lighting the room, but there is no sunlight directly hitting the tank...
I mean do people who have their set-ups in their living room have the shades drawn all day?
Thanks as always!

You can definately have indirect lighting. I cycle my day and nights just like normal life. ligths on during the day when the room is lit and lights off late at night.
The thing is, I used to have my tank in a location where it was getting direct sunlight during the day and I had BAD algae blooms and horribly high temps.
Remember that light breeds algae so you want to watch you direct light. Dont worry about light in the room as long as it's not direct sunlight.

whitey_028

as long as its not direct sunlight your good. Theproblem i had is the aneomenes and pretty stuff moved to the back of my tank where i can see them because they seem to enjoy the indirect sunlight better than my 250 watt halide :notsure: