Sushi Seaweed ?

cheyco

Okay, thanks for all the info about the sea horses. I have a new question now. I feed my Naso , SEAWEED SELECTS made by Ocean Nutrition. One box of 4 sheets will run me six bucks. I was at the Giant grocery store yesterday. They have a asian guy that makes food for you while you wait. So I asked if he knew where I could get Seaweed. Right there ! It is a bag of 5 big sheets and was only $1.75. Can I use this? It says Southern Tsunami (brand) All Natural Sushi Seaweed. Also I've been using Beth's recipe and the other fish love it. The Naso won't touch it though. Is there a recipe out there for the other guys? Thanks.

aquapro_1

I would never recommend you to use it. Human consumption is over processed w/ chemicals..not to mention cooked. It's best to get all natural & no preservatives.

angelsrock

you can use it but i wouldn't because these packages usually do not have the vitamins listed. the seaweed for fish is usually fortified with vitamins.

cheyco

Okay, thanks for the info. I guess I'll just throw it away. Only losing $1.75. Too bad though, feeding these guys can be expensive.

diane4

Originally Posted by angelsrock
you can use it but i wouldn't because these packages usually do not have the vitamins listed. the seaweed for fish is usually fortified with vitamins.

I read the ingredients of the seaweed selects from ocean nutrition. There are no additonal ingredients listed besides just the seaweed. No doubt, Ocean nutrition has the best stuff.
But, one does try to find acceptable ways to cut costs, so we can spend money on things that are more important.
I just bought a 3 oz bag with 50 sheets in it for about 6 bucks. It is thick and I think it will last a long time. I think using it is fine, espeically when you consider that you replace the food in the clip every day, rinse out the clip because beyond 1 day, it smells. There is always some you throw out.
I don't believe in skimping on things like the protien skimmer you chose or the testing devices you use. That is critical stuff. My foxface fish love eating nori or the seaweed selects. I think as long as you also feed them other foods, like Ocean nutrition flake foods etc, you will be fine. I haven't tried using it yet, but the price can't be beat and it really looks the same. Read the back of the plastic box for contents. No added nutrition. That is just the natural nutrition of the seaweed. Thats my opinion.

angelsrock

Originally Posted by diane4
I read the ingredients of the seaweed selects from ocean nutrition. There are no additonal ingredients listed besides just the seaweed. No doubt, Ocean nutrition has the best stuff.
But, one does try to find acceptable ways to cut costs, so we can spend money on things that are more important.
I just bought a 3 oz bag with 50 sheets in it for about 6 bucks. It is thick and I think it will last a long time. I think using it is fine, espeically when you consider that you replace the food in the clip every day, rinse out the clip because beyond 1 day, it smells. There is always some you throw out.
I don't believe in skimping on things like the protien skimmer you chose or the testing devices you use. That is critical stuff. My foxface fish love eating nori or the seaweed selects. I think as long as you also feed them other foods, like Ocean nutrition flake foods etc, you will be fine. I haven't tried using it yet, but the price can't be beat and it really looks the same. Read the back of the plastic box for contents. No added nutrition. That is just the natural nutrition of the seaweed. Thats my opinion.
i use julian springs seaveggies and they are rich in vitamins a, b1, b2, b3, b6, b12, c, and e. it also has iron, iodine, potassium, and trace elements.

cheyco

Originally Posted by angelsrock
i use julian springs seaveggies and they are rich in vitamins a, b1, b2, b3, b6, b12, c, and e. it also has iron, iodine, potassium, and trace elements.
What is that? Something I buy at the grocery store?

hedonic

Originally Posted by aquapro_1
I would never recommend you to use it. Human consumption is over processed w/ chemicals..not to mention cooked. It's best to get all natural & no preservatives.
Sushi implies no cooking. The sushi seaweed is generally freezedried, not cooked. There is nothing wrong with using sushi seaweed. I can't think of them of hand, but there are a few brands that make sushi seaweed specifically for marine use. It is still far cheaper. But as with any other diet program from algea loving fish, you should not limit yourself to one single type, but rather mix it up. This being said I use sushi seaweed as a mainstay for my clown tang and juv. queen angle. They love it. Then twice a week a rotate the green/red algea sheets designed specifically for marine use.

cheyco

I'm going to use it. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt them but use it in addition to other stuff. Speaking of which I used Beth's recipe and my fish love it except for the Naso so today I made a mix in the processor of brocoli, carrots,garlic,celery, Omega One Veggie flakes,Brine shrimp,some dry marine samples I got from a convention,formula two cubes and even some TETRAMIN Pro Crisps I use for my fresh water fish. I gave them a little scoop before I froze it and they totally dig eat. Sounds gay but I was really excited.

ophiura

There is NO issue whatsoever in using sushi nori. This has been well known, and widely documented by experts in this field for several years. It is not an issue to use it. Better use cheaper stuff, and feed more of it, than get more expensive stuff and not feed as often.
BTW, zoos and aquariums are required to feed human grade fish and meat. This is a standard and it is not a problem. How many people are feeding foods without preservatives? Unless you are making your own using raw ingredients, your pellet and flake and frozen food already has stuff in it too.
Additionally, you can not read food labels for human foods and animal foods and make direct comparisons. They are labeled differently. One is marketed for fish and so will trumpet all the great nutrients in it. The other is marketed for sushi and generally does not make such claims. But it doesn't mean one has it and the other does not.

J

jdragunas

i use sushi nori, and my fish LOVE it. I just use it as a snack, though, so i'm not too worried about nutritional value. I made sure to read the packaging first... the only ingredients are sushi, so i figured it was safe

qreef

Originally Posted by cheyco
Okay, thanks for all the info about the sea horses. I have a new question now. I feed my Naso , SEAWEED SELECTS made by Ocean Nutrition. One box of 4 sheets will run me six bucks. I was at the Giant grocery store yesterday. They have a asian guy that makes food for you while you wait. So I asked if he knew where I could get Seaweed. Right there ! It is a bag of 5 big sheets and was only $1.75. Can I use this? It says Southern Tsunami (brand) All Natural Sushi Seaweed. Also I've been using Beth's recipe and the other fish love it. The Naso won't touch it though. Is there a recipe out there for the other guys? Thanks.
What part of MD you in? near silver spring?
Can you find any asian supermaket near you? because they carry all kinds of seaweed that is natural and dont have nay additive in it and it cheap too.
I know sometime you got it there it may smell a little odd but look around some supermakets also carry misys shrimp to and it alot bigger too for less $

cheyco

Originally Posted by Qreef
What part of MD you in? near silver spring?
Can you find any asian supermaket near you? because they carry all kinds of seaweed that is natural and dont have nay additive in it and it cheap too.
I know sometime you got it there it may smell a little odd but look around some supermakets also carry misys shrimp to and it alot bigger too for less $
Not far from Silver Spring. Maybe 45 min. depending on the beltway. I live in LaPlata. I will ask now about the shrimp. Thanks.

wildclown

ok guy om going to be real stupid for you :notsure: all i just got a blackback butterfly and thaught it said leafy greens eater i was wrong it said meaty pellet ***) i put a whole sheet of sushi seaweed in my tank and it all broke up i think my cleanup crew is stuffed on the stuff cus they ate half of it and stoped
will this harm my tank and also what can i get for the butterfly i didnt order his type of food
thanks for the help :help:

J

jdragunas

well, you don't sound stupid.
Do a test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. If you even see a small spike in anything, immediately do a water change... actually i'd do a water change anyway, just in case.
Also, with the butterfly, i'd purchase a frozen food called "marine cuisine". It's a mixture of brine, krill, and mysis, along with some other stuff. My b&w heniochus butterfly goes crazy for it. He also goes crazy for "formula 1" as well, which is basically the same thing as marine cuisine.
As for the sushi, you should break it up into pieces about the size of 1/2 of a sticky note, and put that in the tank... just a little at a time... it took a while for my butterfly to warm up to the sushi... she was a little intimidated by the clip i think, but she loves it now. Your butterfly should have greens in it's diet, so you should continue to add the sushi, but just a little at a time... and if he doesn't eat it, at least it'll keep your cleanup crew well fed!

unleashed

i like to shop around for good pricing when it somes to certain foods and supplies I have a few different places near me to make it a bit easier to do so.my lfs sells seaweed select for 7.99 but a local petland sells it for 4.99 not a hard choice where to purchase it.i wont buy their fish but they get the foods from the same places other lfs get them from.less mark up.we pay top dollar for our fish .they are entitled to the best we can afford IMO.we didnt skimp on the price when we baught these fish we shouldnt skimp on them to keep them healthy.