Switching over To RO/DI

cglover226

Waiting for my system to come ended up going with the stage 5 ro/di system from **************.... the brown algae on my sandbed is getting out of control already waiting for some good water... here is the question... in my tank now (54 gal corner bow) i have an anenome, leather and polyps, 2 cleaner shrimp and some snails and hermits... i would like go completely over to ro/di water... can i do it in 1 shot (remove the corals etc put them in a pail with powerhead for about an hour (however long it take to fill the tank back up) or should i do gradual changes 10 - 20 gals at a time... also will the brown algae eventually go away once i upgrade my water quality or should i try to remove it, put new sand or put more sand over it? the water quality in my tank as far as salinity, ph, amonia, nitrates nitrites are all good i was just told that the brown algae is from using tap water... any help is appreciated thank you in advance

mie

Change the water gradually it should take a few weeks, I would do 10 to 20 gallons a week, As for the brown stuff you can try to siphon what you can and with the aid of a good CUC it should resolve itself. Good luck.

snakeblitz33

I think that you should also do gradual water changes. Don't do anything too fast. Especially in this hobby.
Diatoms are caused by excess silicate in the water. This can come from tap water, however if you used play sand or pool sand to start your system, you need to remove it and start with aragonite/calcium based live sand.
Also, you need a good cleanup crew. I suggest perhaps getting a sand sifting starfish, a couple of black brittle stars, some hermit crabs, green emerald crab and a few nassarious snails to get started.
Good luck!

mie

I used to have issues with my sand as well, but the purchase of two fighting conch snails solved that, pristine white sand ALWAYS.

cglover226

what is a "CUC"??? i have live aquarium sand purchased from the lfs..... i've got hermit crabs and snails i probably will need some more and i'll try and find a sand sifting starfish... so 10 gals a week for i would guess 5 weeks should do it?

todj2002

Originally Posted by cglover226
http:///forum/post/2858459
what is a "CUC"??? i have live aquarium sand purchased from the lfs..... i've got hermit crabs and snails i probably will need some more and i'll try and find a sand sifting starfish... so 10 gals a week for i would guess 5 weeks should do it?
clean up crew. stars, snails, hermits ect.

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/2858312
I used to have issues with my sand as well, but the purchase of two fighting conch snails solved that, pristine white sand ALWAYS.
Do those things move around that much? I HAD a diamond goby but he disappeared.