symptoms of low ph

rudedog40

What kind of symptoms or reaction would you get from your fish if the ph drops too low? Noticed my BH and clown swimming more erratically during lunch. They keep shooting in and out of the rocks, and the BH sometimes does the 'rock scratch'. There's no sign of diseases (no white spots, no fin rot, no white haze, etc.). They are the only two of my six fish doing this. I decided to check my levels, and noticed my ph was down to 7.8. It's been running right at 8.0 for the last 4 months. Would this small drop in ph cause them to react like this? How low can ph get before it starts causing problems for the fish?

m0nk

It's possible, my fish swim somewhat tilted when my pH has dropped for some reason or another.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by rudedog40
What kind of symptoms or reaction would you get from your fish if the ph drops too low? Noticed my BH and clown swimming more erratically during lunch. They keep shooting in and out of the rocks, and the BH sometimes does the 'rock scratch'. There's no sign of diseases (no white spots, no fin rot, no white haze, etc.). They are the only two of my six fish doing this. I decided to check my levels, and noticed my ph was down to 7.8. It's been running right at 8.0 for the last 4 months. Would this small drop in ph cause them to react like this? How low can ph get before it starts causing problems for the fish?
IMO I do not think a 2 point sway would make your fish act like that. In its early stages ich typically isnt visable and from what I read usually attacks the gills first. I have read that a low pH can lower your fishes resistance but making them act up I would think it would take more than 2 points on the pH test. My tank swings 2 points from morning to night sometimes 3 and I have never noticed an issue. just my 2 cents.

rudedog40

Don't think it's ich. I've also noticed my green brittle and SFE have been more active the last few days. I've always spot fed my SFE with krill, and he hasn't taken any in the last two days. He keeps going between two rocks, and it looked like he tried to attack my green brittle while feeding the tank at lunchtime. He used to live right next to him for about 3 months. The green brittle who has been under the same rock for the last 4 months, now all of a sudden has started moving around more. Could it have something to do with my adding a LTA? I put it in the tank about three weeks ago. Could it be emitting some chemicals into the tank that are irrating all the other inhabitants?