Tang growth rates??

bpro32

How fast do powder blue and naso tangs grow in relation to hippos and yellow tangs? I'm considering putting one of either in a 40g tank temporarily while I save up money for my 240 build. I am familiar with the growth rates of both the yellow and hippo tangs so how long would I have with a PBT or Naso?
Thanks in advance :)

deejeff442

i wouldnt put any tang in a tang smaller than a 90 and that would be temporary.i had my purple in my 90 for 4 years he only grew from 4 inches to 5 inches nasos grow faster but you will never see the sizes advertised of full size in an aquarium.
i now have my purple in a 225 and since i bought him 6 or 7 years ago he has only grown less than two inches.my achilles hasnt grown at all that i can tell in a year same faminy as the powder.
thing is they are olympic swimmers and will get stressed easily if they dont have alot of room to sprint.
i would just wait for the bigger tank,i know its tough but it will save you alot of headaches plus you will have a decent size qt.

coral keeper

It really depends on alot of things. There is no exact growth rate for a tang. Healthy and happy tangs grow very fast. Also, I wouldn't put a tang in your 40 gallon even if its temporary. Something might come up and you wont be able to afford the big tank then what? If I were you, I'd just wait till you get the big tank then get the tangs.