Tang mixes? No aggression...

m0nk

Originally Posted by DSBdude
http:///forum/post/2527964
Ok..thank you..I have a another question below about equipment
I'm going to have to have three individual lights for my set-up. Since i have a cabinet as my canopy(my tank is going to sit in between two cabinets..high and low) with three dividers in it, I'll have one small T-5 light fixture per section. I am doing this because you aren't supposed to cut holes in cabinet divider and i don't wanna mess up my cabinet. Any suggestions on this light problem.
I believe the thing about cutting holes in the cabinet divider is due to the fact that there would typically be a full fishtank sitting on top of it. As far as the lighting, I wouldn't space it out like that because you won't get the depth intensity that you want with some of the lights, essentially reducing the effectiveness of the light. At that point you might as well get PC lighting because it will have the same quality/intensity as the T-5, IMO being further off the tank.
I'm not quite clear why you'd want to put a stand on the top instead of getting a proper canopy, or building one yourself.

florida joe

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2529103
Well, I consider the sizing noted on most sites to be accurate. As I've said in a previous post, I've seen 18 inch Nasos, 12 inch Hippos, etc. The thread I posted before also has a posting from a member here that has a 10 inch yellow, which yes, is 2 inches bigger than most sites specify. Sure, in some circumstances they won't live long enough to get to that size, but therein lies the problem; if they don't reach that size in their lifetime then they weren't healthy and will likely have a drastically reduced lifespan. In fact, in home aquariums, fish should technically live longer than their wild counterparts because of the lack (or attempted lack) of disease/parasites/predators/etc. They're also usually healthier too because of the variety of foods we feed and the vitamins we supplement.

Monk my friend I must respectfully disagree there is no way IMO we can even come close to achieving the well being of healthy fish in ocean in our home aquariums. First our main objective in keeping them alive is nitrification. Nitrification is a means we are lucky to be able to achieve the changing tides and currents of our ocean reefs are what keeps the reef and its inhabitants free of toxins. Our testing is IMO not sophisticated enough to monitored water conditions equal to the ocean, Ick in the open ocean killing a fish is unheard of given the volume of water. Our prepared foods no mater how enriched can not come close to the natural thing. Predators pray on weak fish thus perpetuating the healthy while growing stronger themselves. Many of us keep predators in our tanks I don’t think we can come close the having these specimens in our tank in the same condition as in the open ocean. I equate it to the look in a tiger’s eye as he paces back and forth in his cage at the Zoo, you can almost hear him saying that he does not belong here.
You I and thousands of others keep aquariums. For the most part for all the right reasons and that is a good thing I also understand the need for zoos to protect against extinction. That being said you are one of the good guys and I respect and understand your statements.

dsbdude

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2529106
I believe the thing about cutting holes in the cabinet divider is due to the fact that there would typically be a full fishtank sitting on top of it. As far as the lighting, I wouldn't space it out like that because you won't get the depth intensity that you want with some of the lights, essentially reducing the effectiveness of the light. At that point you might as well get PC lighting because it will have the same quality/intensity as the T-5, IMO being further off the tank.
I'm not quite clear why you'd want to put a stand on the top instead of getting a proper canopy, or building one yourself.
Monk, it isn't a stand on top of the tank, these are MY cabinets that have been in my house for YEARS. I just wanted to put a tank there because it seemed like a good spot for one and i don't have room to have a stand and canopy...just a tank in that spot i liked

mcbdz

Originally Posted by DSBdude
http:///forum/post/2530240
Monk, it isn't a stand on top of the tank, these are MY cabinets that have been in my house for YEARS. I just wanted to put a tank there because it seemed like a good spot for one and i don't have room to have a stand and canopy...just a tank in that spot i liked
A pic may be inorder here.
Can picture it just yet.

everybody on here thinks they know everything, I know plenty of experienced reefers who keep tangs in smaller than a 125, and many of them. It's lots of work, and you have to know who to mix, and when, but it is possible.
This hobby is full of people with strong personalities, which results in "know it alls" If you can keep up with the work needed for salt water then you have a "strong personality" 90% of these people are also "Know it alls"
Don't take it to heart, they mean well.

florida joe

Originally Posted by ChrgerOnDavins
http:///forum/post/2532584
everybody on here thinks they know everything, I know plenty of experienced reefers who keep tangs in smaller than a 125, and many of them. It's lots of work, and you have to know who to mix, and when, but it is possible.
This hobby is full of people with strong personalities, which results in "know it alls" If you can keep up with the work needed for salt water then you have a "strong personality" 90% of these people are also "Know it alls"
Don't take it to heart, they mean well.
LOL lets just say saltwater people are very opinionated, but for what its worth I am with you on this one

bun1

Man, you 2 guys are a breath of fresh air in what I can only describe as the most self rightous forum I have ever browsed. There are so many variables in this hobby it amazes me how much "can't do that", and "can't keep this with that" and "every tank is to small for anything but clowns and damsels except the tank I have for the fish I want", goes on here. I hope the people asking questions on this site take the answers with a grain of salt and look elswhere for second and third opinions (not to imply that what they find here are opinions)

I have actually been told by some experienced SW folks not to waste time in forums, cause everybody has "know it all syndrome" as quoted from George Lopez show.
Even been advised against comming to this forum in particular. I feel like everybody has good in mind, but thinks they know everything, and everybody just goes with the flow.
It's cool, whatever. I for the most part stopped asking questions here.

turbonut

Originally Posted by bun1
http:///forum/post/2529001
>>How would you like it if someone kept you captive in a tiny glass cage the size of your bathroom the rest of your life?<<
Gee Lesley, it seems to me considering the size of the ocean that that's exactly what your tangs would say even in their 300 gallon tank
well if thats the case then all of us are keeping are fish in a tiny glass cage if we are comparing to the ocean, now if agression is a problem then yes a bigger tank would help out as the fish can hopefully go into there own corners of the tank and not get bothererd