Tang question

latinlord

I think I may get a hippo tang very very soon... I already have a yellow and brown powder tang... How is the blue acclimenting? Will the other tangs pic on him??
I heard they are hardy tang.. true?? My power brown is not hardy but doing fine.. and they are not hardy at all.
I just wish the Hippo was cheaper... haha
Also would you recommend purchasing a very very small hippo or one of similar size to the other tangs... considering the average size tangs i have in my tank already??
I heard a couple of conflicting statements... 1. that I should get a tang of similar size as my other two tangs to lessen aggression
2. get a tang that is smaller in size, so the other tangs are not threatened by him and will pick on him less..
What are your thoughts??
Thanks

wattsupdoc

Hippos smaller than 3in are not really a good idea. They have from my experience and from what I've read, a very high mortality rate less than 3in. Additionally, the YT is most likely to pick on the hippo, mine is pretty mean. My powder brown is pretty mellow. You'll want one that can defend itself, though the hippo is likely to be very docile.

mr. limpid

Both of those tangs are more agressive than the hippo, he wont have a chance. The only way I would try is to rearange the rocks and turn of the lights and have another tank to put him if they attach. Please QT your tang they are known ick magnets.

bizzmoneyb

i wouldnt get one of those very small ones. ive tried with 2 of them and they both died pretty quickly. id get one close to the same size. i believe the yellows are pretty territorial so id get a blue the same size to give him a chance.
and def QT it. the blues are absolute ich magnets.

latinlord

Thanks everyone!! My rocks were just rearranged.. So i'll probibly have to wait until tomorrow to look into it.
I'll definitely get a decent size tang, thanks. ..