Tangs Tangs Tangs

ratrod

Was wondering if anyone out there was keeping multiple tangs in their reef such as yellows, purples and blues together. I'm getting ready to restock my 250g after a massive power outage and lost all my fish and about 2/3 of my corals

75g-reefer

i have a yellow tang, purple tang, blue tang, and a sailfin tang and they all get allong great.. been together for about 5 months now...

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by 75g-reefer
http:///forum/post/2467050
i have a yellow tang, purple tang, blue tang, and a sailfin tang and they all get allong great.. been together for about 5 months now...
i seriouly hope that you dont have all of thoes in your 75g tank...that is the only tank listed in your profile...

paintballer768

Its sirens haha. And yes, I do hear them too. Those, let alone more than one tang, shouldnt kept in a 75 gallon. The yellow should be ok, but no them all. I bet you have nitrate problems if the 75 gallon is the case.

75g-reefer

I do have these in my 75g... all are great... my nitrates are at about 20. yes a bit on the high side., but all is ok... i am upgrading to a 200+ gallon tank within the next year so i am not worried about them getting to large... ii will post a pic in a few min...

jtrzerocool

http:///forum/post/2467130
I do have these in my 75g... all are great... my nitrates are at about 20. yes a bit on the high side., but all is ok... i am upgrading to a 200+ gallon tank within the next year so i am not worried about them getting to large... ii will post a pic in a few min...

wangotango

Everyone always upgrades, or at least they say they do.
To the OP: odd numbers usually work well, if they're added at the same time. But this rule isn't always concrete.
-Justin

75g-reefer

i first had the yellow, then the sail fin, then the blue then the purple was the last addition....
when we seen the purple for sale, could not pass it up!! very rare around here... we also have 2 anemone's, a sebae anemone, tube worm, clown fish, lime green wrasse and a six line wrase, lawnmower blenny and some coral's...
and i will be upgrading for sure... going to start to purchase stuff little by little..
so iis it bad to have the stock that i do.. all my water paramaters check perfect except the nitrates...

coral keeper

http:///forum/post/2467130
4 tangs in a 75 gall is way too much. You do know that right? You need to give the purple tang, blue tang, and a sailfin tang to different people you know that have a large enough tank to hold them until you have the proper set up for the tangs or sell them off and buy new ones when you have the proper set up. You also probably have a lot of other fish in there as well. 1 years is just way to long to hold all these fish that get very large in a short period of time. The tangs are not happy at all, they may seem happy to you but there most likely not happy.

wangotango

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2467198
4 tangs in a 75 gall is way too much. You do know that right? You need to give the purple tang, blue tang, and a sailfin tang to different people you know that have a large enough tank to hold them until you have the proper set up for the tangs or sell them off and buy new ones when you have the proper set up. You also probably have a lot of other fish in there as well. 1 years is just way to long to hold all these fish that get very large in a short period of time. The tangs are not happy at all, they may seem happy to you but there most likely not happy.
Thanks for beating the dead horse coral.
-Justin

75g-reefer

they honestly do not bug eachother... they actually swim around together... graze on alge all day long... i did hear people say not to have multiple tangs but have spoke to many people who like me have had no issues... like i said within 1 yr i will be 200G plus so i will hold till then... as for other fish stock
1 lime green wrase
1 six line wrase
1 clown fish
1 lawnmower blenny
4 tangs
plus have a 20 gallon sump system with 700GPH return, 100+ lbs of live rock, monitor everythng and dose as needed..
if i see problems between the tangs, i will take action at that time... otherwise all is fine.

al mc

Original Poster: I have a Yellow, Scopis,and Achilles, in one tank (yes it is 6 feet long)...in fact it has a center drain so they can swim in very large circles and not have to go back an forth). Had this set up for almost two years.
The Scopis and Yellow pestered each other at feeding time, but stopped once I added a second algae clip.
With your size tank (250gallon) I think you would be fine. Tangs certainly can be territorial but 3-4 in that size tank should be OK