Tangs

jonnydubs

I went to a newly found lfs the other day and what she was saying about tangs had me confused. Ive read nothing other than not having any tangs in anything less than a 90 but she was recomending me tangs for my 55 that im going to make a reef tank. She knows alot about the hobby and her and her husband are both marine biologists and have some great looking tanks. She is totally about the well being of fish and corals in tanks and wants to teach me all sorts of things about caring for it, but she recomended a purple tang and even a sailfin tang for my tank eventually which makes me wonder if she really knows a lot...

hot883

They will go in there for a VERY short time though. A purple is VERY territorial so even a 90 IMO is way to small.
LFS may know alot and marine biologist etc. etc. but they are there to make money and good and well know that those fish will eventually die in there and guess what;? You will be back for more. It is a business.

mopar9012

Originally Posted by hot883
They will go in there for a VERY short time though. A purple is VERY territorial so even a 90 IMO is way to small.
LFS may know alot and marine biologist etc. etc. but they are there to make money and good and well know that those fish will eventually die in there and guess what;? You will be back for more. It is a business.
i agree

cwgibson

yep, my lfs sold me a blue hippo when i first got started and said it would live fine its entire life in a 75g.

zman1

Jonny,
For a second opinion of a business that sells fish look at saltwaterfish.com. They list minimum tank sizes for a good number of the tangs on the fish page...

cyclops

Originally Posted by JonnyDubs
I went to a newly found lfs the other day and what she was saying about tangs had me confused. Ive read nothing other than not having any tangs in anything less than a 90 but she was recomending me tangs for my 55 that im going to make a reef tank. She knows alot about the hobby and her and her husband are both marine biologists and have some great looking tanks. She is totally about the well being of fish and corals in tanks and wants to teach me all sorts of things about caring for it, but she recomended a purple tang and even a sailfin tang for my tank eventually which makes me wonder if she really knows a lot...

Where is this new store located> the LFS here in MD started a new store in florida and the lady sounds like the same one she know alot but then she does not know that much. I went to visit the store last week and seen a manderine fish real skinny so I told her that she might want to take it out cause it looks like it is not eating she then told me that it eats frozen mysis off the sand, Well I came back saterday and looked in the tank and the manderine was dead. Poor fish some people think they know it all. Most tngs will be ok short term but dont leave them in there.