tank cycled in less then a week?

nfsplayer

Hello everyone.
Sunday I added raw shrimp to my 10 gallon tank, Monday my ammonia spiked and I took shrimp out. Friday I tested water and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are at ~0 using API tests. KH is at ~7kdh using SERA test. temperature is 78-80. So is my cycle done?

florida joe

I doubt it keep checking for ammonia for another week, was the only way to establish a cycle the use of a shrimp or did you add live rock or filer material from an established tank

nfsplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/387454/tank-cycled-in-less-then-a-week#post_3409401
I doubt it keep checking for ammonia for another week, was the only way to establish a cycle the use of a shrimp or did you add live rock or filer material from an established tank
LR came form established tank (2+years) and i putted filter from my freshwater tank which i got rid off. Filter was clean well. Shrimp stayed in tank for almost a whole day.
What happened was 2 weeks ago i stirred up the sand and everything died in my tank. I drained water and took the sand out. I added fresh live sand and fresh salt water to it, putted my RENA 35gallon filter on which was on fresh water tank.

florida joe

This is what I would do so take it for what it’s worth. I would add a raw shrimp back into my tank start testing in a few days if you see an ammonia spike DO NOT take out the shrimp. Continue to test for nitrites and nitrates. What you need to establish is if your introduction of live rock had enough nitrifying bacteria on it to handle the organic brake down of the shrimp or if you just removed it to soon after your initial reading of ammonia

nfsplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/387454/tank-cycled-in-less-then-a-week#post_3409409
This is what I would do so take it for what it’s worth. I would add a raw shrimp back into my tank start testing in a few days if you see an ammonia spike DO NOT take out the shrimp. Continue to test for nitrites and nitrates. What you need to establish is if your introduction of live rock had enough nitrifying bacteria on it to handle the organic brake down of the shrimp or if you just removed it to soon after your initial reading of ammonia
Ok, i'm going to add raw shrimp today. But, when do i take shrimp out? or I'll just let CUC take care of it when i'll add them?
When i added shrimp for the first time, my water got cloudy and i was told to take shrimp out.

1guydude

Quote:
When i added shrimp for the first time, my water got cloudy and i was told to take shrimp out.
yes but did u test for anmonia than? If so wat was ur reading? U will c a noticable spike...than trates...than trites i thinks! After u see ur anmonia spike, pull the shrimp out and test test test for a week or maybe longer! It will be done cycling when all ur readings are 0.
It is only a 10gal so it may have cycled but better safe than sry!

nfsplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/387454/tank-cycled-in-less-then-a-week#post_3409459
yes but did u test for anmonia than? If so wat was ur reading? U will c a noticable spike...than trates...than trites i thinks! After u see ur anmonia spike, pull the shrimp out and test test test for a week or maybe longer! It will be done cycling when all ur readings are 0.
It is only a 10gal so it may have cycled but better safe than sry!
Using API testers ammonia was at 4, then nitrites went up and ammonia dropped. However, nitrates never went up, always stayed at 0.

florida joe

First things first its ammonia nitrites and then nitrate we test for. Why do you have a CUC in your tank at this stage? Take the decaying shrimp out when you see an ammonia spike BUT then add a small fresh piece of shrimp to continue to feed the cycle.

nfsplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/387454/tank-cycled-in-less-then-a-week#post_3409471
First things first its ammonia nitrites and then nitrate we test for. Why do you have a CUC in your tank at this stage? Take the decaying shrimp out when you see an ammonia spike BUT then add a small fresh piece of shrimp to continue to feed the cycle.
I don't have CUC in there now. I got jumbo shrimp which i will cut in half and add half in there now and other once ammonia spikes. The thing is, if i'll add shrimp now, ammonia will spike by tomorrow morning. So i'll take that shrimp out and put a fresh on in for how long?

florida joe

With all due respect you are making this a lot harder on yourself then it is just cut the jumbo shrimp in fourths put one forth in your tank throw the rest away and don’t do anything for two days don’t test don’t do anything related to your tank. Test after two days and post your results

kiefers

Don't worry about the CUC yet, leave the piece of raw shrimp in there for 3 days, test Amm, trites and trates and let sit for a week or so and test again. The API test are not very reliable kits IMO. This is in my opinion one of the most frustrating times having an aquarium. gooluck

nfsplayer

Ok will leave shrimp in there for few days. After which I'm going to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and take the shrimp out. Then test again after few more days without shrimp in it. And if everything is at 0 i can add CUC in there?

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfsplayer http:///t/387454/tank-cycled-in-less-then-a-week#post_3409486
Ok will leave shrimp in there for few days. After which I'm going to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and take the shrimp out. Then test again after few more days without shrimp in it. And if everything is at 0 i can add CUC in there?
okay sounds fabulous..... however, what exactly is the CUC going to clean? By chance tho,....... what is your pH?

nfsplayer

It's been 2 days now since i placed a raw shrimp in. here are result of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate:
Ammonia 2
nitrate 20
nitrite 1.5
( Using API tests)
Should i leave shrimp in there or take it out?