Tank destroyed!!

runn3rb3an

so I came back from a 5 day vacation the other day and I find that my ac tht was suppose to be Running to keep my fish from dying never was turned on. So I came home to a 92 degree biocube that was once perfected after 2 years finally, completely destroyed. All of my corals ,clams, seahorses, shrimp, snails, feather dusters and even coraline are dead. The only thing that survived was the aptasia and a few hermits
I don't even know what to do now, I guess I'm buying a chiller...

katsafados

HA your not alone! I just got back from a 3 day vacation to see 20% evap and salt everywhere from my tank. But I was lucky all my corals and fish are still okay! Sorry to hear about yours!

whitebird

real sorry to hear that too we were gone 5 days last weekend and i only ran part of the lights just in case the house got to hot and hoped it would stay cool enough it did was about 79 temp when we got home but the first thing i checked was the self feeder and it must of pluged up the first day because it was still full but our tank was cleaner than it had ever been sence we set it up

meowzer

I am soooo sorry to hear this, I know how hard you work on your tanks.....No one was watching them for you????

t316

Sorry for your losses, to all of you. I have too much invested in this hobby to not have someone come over and check on the tank at least every other day when I'm away. But even with that, an A/C issue could skyrocket the temps within 24 hrs.

florida joe

sorry for your loss. A reminder To people with small tanks changes happen very quickly with limited volume. You must prepare for anything that can cause detrimental change

runn3rb3an

My aunt would come and feed the tanks every other day but she knows absolutley nothing about fish. It wasnt her fault though, how could I blame her.
Right now I have no Idea what to do though. I thought I might take the rock out and clean the sand really well, put the rocks back in let it sit for a while and then add some peppermint shrimp to get rid of aptasia. then maybe a few weeks later try with some new seahorses. Do I need to cycle again?
I have no idea what my levels are btw, once I saw the tank I didnt even bother checking..

runn3rb3an

also whats a good chiller to get for a 29 biocube? I think Im going to get it for next summer, or does it need to be put in and hooked up before the tank gets going?

meowzer

So you took everything out and tossed them....and right now the tank is empty except for rock and sand????

runn3rb3an

no I havent touched the tank yet I didnt want to mess with anything just incase. the brains are just skeletons now and the softies look like they melted in place or are completley gone. Goo was in its place when I got home. It also looked like a few were being ripped apart, it looked like its skin was being ripped off idk but they were all definatley beyond repair.
It might have been because of the heat, or a spike in my levels because the seahorses died. I'm not too sure.

myerst22

Sorry for your lose.
But a note should be made that heat isn't the real killer. It's the rapid change in temp that kills. T