Tank mate for yellow-tail damsel?

sueandherzoo

Hi there.
I have a 14 gallon biocube that's basically a reef tank (live rock and corals, snails and crabs) but I also have a tiny yellow-tailed damsel in there for some color and activity. Is there anything I can put in there with him? I know I can only add ONE more fish since it's a small tank but if I do I'm not sure what's safe. I'd like to add one clown but chances are there will be blood-shed, right? If I add another type of damsel, same thing? What if I add one more yellow-tail damsel? I'd like something different but if it's certain to cause one of the fish harm then I'll just leave well enough alone.
Sue

hlcroghan

i like bicolor blennies.......small, friendly, and wouldn't get in the way of your damsel.....and darn it they are cute as a button

sueandherzoo

Ooooohhhhhhhhhh -- what a great idea! And they seem to be very personable, too! I would have never thought of that - I was so focused on staying in the clown/damsel family. Off to the LFS after work to see what grabs me.

worrballer

At first ya but they would settle down. Then again damsels suck. My guess would be the damsel would pick on the clown constantly or they'd stick to their side of the aquarium after their scrap.
If you want more fish in a smaller tank get a fish trap and buy peaceful fish.

sueandherzoo

I'm not a damsel lover, either...... I have three tanks up and running and this is the first (and only) damsel I've ever purchased. The biocube is looking so nice and so colorful but I kept thinking it would be so nice if I had something "blue" in there so I finally broke down and bought a tiny yellow-tail. He definitely adds the bright colors I was missing but I don't really like him - he bores me, but you KNOW I can't possibly catch him to take him back without tearing apart the tank.
I was hoping to get a clown to go in there but didn't think I could, but since I have an anemone in there maybe that would offer protection for the clown?
Sue

cufishfan

My clown and damsel never fought (but my clown was a lot bigger than the damsel). So it's possible that it would work... but then again, I had to tear apart my tank to catch the yellow-tail after 2 fish mysteriously disappeared in a week.... and my damsel didn't seem so hungry at feeding time...

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by CUfishfan
http:///forum/post/3001012
My clown and damsel never fought (but my clown was a lot bigger than the damsel). So it's possible that it would work... but then again, I had to tear apart my tank to catch the yellow-tail after 2 fish mysteriously disappeared in a week.... and my damsel didn't seem so hungry at feeding time...

Hmmmmmmmmmm..... ok - so to recap -- your damsel and clown never fought, maybe the damsel went right for the murder rather than bother with preliminary fighting. Another "mystery of the sea" we'll never know the answer to.
I'm heading to the LFS - Lord only knows what I'll end up coming home with!

Sue

sueandherzoo

Wow - can you believe it? I came home from the LFS empty-handed! It was kinda depressing but I was also very proud of myself. There were a few things there that I could have gotten to put in with the damsel but none of them seemed right and none of them really "grabbed me", so rather than make a purchase that I'd regret later (and might ultimately cost a fish its life) I just walked away. Geez, I better go take my temperature.

Sue

sueandherzoo

OK, so it seems my choices are gamble with a clown or go for a blenny/goby. Actually I still don't have a yellow watchman in any of my tanks..... perhaps it's time.
Sue

premilove

did you ever think about taking the yellow tail back to the LFS and getting a pair of clowns? I personally hate yellow tails! jmo

wax32

You can get a lot more interesting shrimp goby than the yellow watchman, but I agree that a goby would make a good match for the tank.

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/3001903
did you ever think about taking the yellow tail back to the LFS and getting a pair of clowns? I personally hate yellow tails! jmo
I would take the yellow-tail back if I could catch him without having to tear the tank apart, but that's not likely to happen.
Sue

uneverno

I hadda catch a pseudocromis in my tank. I put a 1qt mason jar in the tank, horizontally on the bottom, and then put food inside it. The hardest part was watching him try to get the food through the glass, but he did eventually find the opening. You gotta be quick once he's in, but worked like a charm.
Just in case you want to go that route.
HTH,
Emil