Tank Parameters (Actuals & Targets)

abclemen

I am still somewhat new to this and am looking for guidance on water parameters. Below I have my actual and targeted levels. I am looking for feedback on both such as is my target correct, if not what should it be, how do i get there, etc.Thank you.
Salinity 1.026 (Target = 1.024)
Ammonia 0.25 (Target = 0)
Nitrite 0 (Target = 0)
Nitrate 15 (Target = 0)
Phosphate 0.05 (Target = 0)
Calcium 500 (Target =430)
Alkalinity 7.8 (Target = 8.0)
Magnesium 1560 (Target =1280)
Tank Background
180 gallon reef
Fish: Yellow Tang, Lawnmower, 2 Oscellaris Clowns, Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Inverts: CUC, LTA, RBT
Corals: Kenya Forest (branches everywhere), Yellow Polyps, Red Zoos, Xenia, (Looking to buy more corals tonight)
Thank you.

jay0705

Ah ok. That could b your issue.imo you want to try and do about 10-20% every 2 weeks or so. Or since u have such a large tank maybe 10% every wk. When u do them they replace the nutrients the life in your tank is using. It will also help w your ammonia and nitrate. Levels. I do about 10 gallons a wk in my 75 and its only a fowlr.its preventive maintenance

sweatervest13

Your ammonia level should be 0ppm. Any reading is an ammonia spike. This could be bad. Do you have Prime or Amquil+??
Has the tank been set up for a while? Or, is it new? If it has been setup for a while what kind of filtration do you run?? How much LR is in the tank? What kind of test kits are you using? If you have an established tank you should not have an ammonia spike unless something died in the tank or you have a new addition (or something changed recently in the tank). OR you may have a test kit that is off a bit. Check the date and see if it is over a year old.
Quote:
Salinity 1.026 (Target = 1.024) 1.026
Ammonia 0.25 (Target = 0) 0ppm
Nitrite 0 (Target = 0) 0ppm
Nitrate 15 (Target = 0) 0ppm
Phosphate 0.05 (Target = 0) 0
Calcium 500 (Target =430) 430-450
Alkalinity 7.8 (Target = 8.0) 8-9
Magnesium 1560 (Target =1280) 1350
Those are the targets I shoot for in my tank. Your Calcium and Magnesium seem a little high (nothing to do here, just let the tank use up some, so a waiting game).
The more I look at this, the more I think you may have an outdated Ammonia test (unless something did die in your tank recently).

abclemen

Thanks for the feedback. I do need to increase my water change frequency and percentage.
Honestly on the Ammonia reading it was tough to distinguish between 0 and 0.25. I use the API Master Test Kit. I don't like it and will eventually move onto something different.
The tank is about 1 year old. Nothing has died recently. I have had some difficulties with the LTA and RBTA with releasing the food (silverside, shrimp) and it floats off to somewhere. The hermits and serpent jump on it but it may be causing the 0.25 spike.
It looks like the two things I need to do are change out some more water and bump my alkalinity a bit.
Is it safe to add some frags?

jay0705

I use the same kit and it is hard to tell the diff. The water changes should help w most of your other issues

N

nereef

I don't believe it's been suggested to test your new saltwater before doing changes with it. This will give you a baseline/blank for your tank parameters.
As for the frags, as long as you have reasonable lighting (T-5, halide, led), you can give a couple cheap and hardy lps frags a try. candy canes are always a good start.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by abclemen http:///t/394909/tank-parameters-actuals-targets#post_3515206
I am still somewhat new to this and am looking for guidance on water parameters. Below I have my actual and targeted levels. I am looking for feedback on both such as is my target correct, if not what should it be, how do i get there, etc.Thank you.
Salinity 1.026 (Target = 1.024)
Ammonia 0.25 (Target = 0)
Nitrite 0 (Target = 0)
Nitrate 15 (Target = 0)
Phosphate 0.05 (Target = 0) Your tank needs a small amount......not "0"
Calcium 500 (Target =430)
Alkalinity 7.8 (Target = 8.0)
Magnesium 1560 (Target =1280)
Tank Background
180 gallon reef
Fish: Yellow Tang, Lawnmower, 2 Oscellaris Clowns, Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Inverts: CUC, LTA, RBT
Corals: Kenya Forest (branches everywhere), Yellow Polyps, Red Zoos, Xenia, (Looking to buy more corals tonight)
Thank you.
I'm pretty much agree with Sweatervest13 on his recommendation on your levels except the Phos.....That is known that you don't want your level to be "0" The level will vary from system to system, but a "0" the tank is "starved" and certain corals will show this.....

fosser

So iv read that Phos should be zero in most cases, but acrylic51 your saying that there should be a little? I am battling Phos right now, a reading of 1.0-2.0. What is a reasonable reading if there was to be some present in the tank?

dcasey46

What do you guys use for testing? I've used the API master kits in the past but have heard some bad things about them and was wondering what I should switch too.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosser http:///t/394909/tank-parameters-actuals-targets#post_3515301
So iv read that Phos should be zero in most cases, but acrylic51 your saying that there should be a little? I am battling Phos right now, a reading of 1.0-2.0. What is a reasonable reading if there was to be some present in the tank?
You are battling Phos....I'm talking minute small amounts..... 0.01-0.03. Your corals still need some.

acrylic51

Sorry for the double post, but to the OP....have you double checked your readings with either another brand test kit or had a LFS check your parameters to compare against your readings.....

N

nereef

acrylic's statement about phosphate is sound, but don't overthink it. phosphate is used by all organismms, but in nature it is limiting. when most reefer's test kits reads 0, it doesn't mean absolutley 0. it means "below detectable limits." salifert kits do detect amounts in the 0.015 mg/L range. now i'm overthinking. 1 to 2 is too high.
more frequent water changes and maybe a better skimmer. you're not running cheap activated carbon, are you?