tank set up today!!! first pictures 125 acylic

jer4916

Hey guys,
This is my new 125 i finally got it set up! :jumping: ...its cycling now ...im running an ecosystem 3612 for the filter...i haven't added the miracle mud yet..im waiting a couple of days for the salts and everything to become completely mixed. also im wondering how soon can i had 2 clowns to start helping the cycle? ...mind you its going to end up being a reef tank... the main lights go in, in about a week...right now i just have standard lights. also my custom made rocks will go in around thursday this week...so its a BABY tank still :)
here are some pictures... please let me know what you guys think!!!! and what i can add to make it really cool and what i should aviod...etc
thank you for your thoughts!
~chris :joy:

blemmy_guy

Very nice, cant wait to see her up and teaming with life. Congrats its a great tank, and great size also. todd

ricks280

hello jer........ and congrats on your new born!!!!!!! (tank) :happy: but u must be going through what im living now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
, (the waiting game) please dont rush and let the system work for you and your new :happyfish
if we rush it will only come back and bite us in the bumb! let the elements take over for a while and it should make our tanks and hobbie a safer ,and less $$$$$ in the long run. my tank its been seven days 2 hours , 15 minutes and 35seconds and the ammonia its on the roof!!!!!!!!!! but i know that it will give a better enviroment to the new comers in the long run, and thats what we are here for. (long term rewards) and be abble to share with all the fishos in this forum .in wich they
are always there to help each other out :happy: (keep up the good work everybody!!!!!!!!!! :D

jer4916

thanks rick, i think im going to let my tank set before i add any critters or anything for 6-8 weeks...im also debating..can i put 2 clowns in to help cycle?
thanks guys
~chris

bigarn

Congrats on your tank. :happy:
One piece of advice though..... Don't
cycle with any fish. For a tank that size I'd use 2 large raw shrimp to cycle with. :D

monalisa

Originally Posted by bigarn
Congrats on your tank. :happy:
One piece of advice though..... Don't
cycle with any fish. For a tank that size I'd use 2 large raw shrimp to cycle with. :D

I'm really new to this too, and that was my first thought!! No fishies for cycling!!
Looks really great. Have a great time.
Lisa :happyfish

jer4916

thanks guys! ..I'm really excited about this tank, i used to have a 55 aggressive, but during the move the tank broke,filter got dropped,fish died..it was horrible...but my 125 made it through perfectly..anyways hopefully this tank will make it through the years!...im doing everything for this tank in SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW MOTION because i know if you rush (because of my last tank) water changes happen 3 times a week...fish die...fish freak out..and you really cant have any gental fish...so this time..its going to be atleast 2 months before i even start adding corals...a few verts in 2 weeks or so...but just to help it cycle...
~chris
ps ..the water is really REALLY starting to clear up! :jumping:

kaotik

good luck!!! id also say no fish for cycling. Use raw shrimp or you could even add fish food. Check your levels first though because sometimes when you add LR it has enough ammonia in it so that you dont need to add shrimp or food! This has been the case in every tank I have ever set up.

ctgretzky9

PLEASE do not kill fish to cycle the tank.
There are a few methods-raw, unpeeled shrimp, uncured live rock, feeding the imaginary fishes...those are just 3 and I'm sure there are more.
Be patient...dont add anything for a few weeks...yea, it sucks looking at an empty tank :sleepy:
But the rewards, if you have patience and take your time, will be that
1. you will have more $ since you didnt waste any by doing things too fast
2. you will learn more than you ever wanted to know by coming here and reading and posting
3. you won't get frustrated with the time you put in just to have things die or tank look like garbage
4. it legthens the time that you can add livestock, because befor eya know it, you can't add anything else :-(

reefdude37

I heard that when u put fish in ur tank to help the cycle (either clowns or damsels) it is really hard on the fish and its like torchering them. so i would use raw shrimp

bigb

You may want to think about putting the mud in soon. You'll have to turn off the pump cause it needs to settle for 6+- hours.

jer4916

i was told to get the rock/sand all squared in...and then a week/2 weeks later add the mud
true..or not true?