tank switch question

jhill5

I currently have a 55 gallon reef and I am looking upgrade to 125 or 180. I need the new tank to go in the same place as the 55. Could I do a 10% water change every 3-4 days and keep the water change water in another container with a PH and heater. Then when I get enough water could I make the switch without causing a cycle?

wax32

New water isn't what causes a cycle... it would be the addition of more LR and/or stirring the sand that causes it. If you aren't adding rock and you are careful with your sand when you move it from one tank to the other you can possibly avoid an ammonia spike... BUT, I'd be prepared to keep your fish, inverts and corals in a temporary home for a few days while you get any ammonia spike under control.

kaotik

Even if you use alot of your water, you will most likely have to cycle. If you use some of your sand and LR it will shorten the cycle process. The more you use, the better. The only problem is having the tank in the same spot as the other. Unless you can drain a lot of water out of your 55 until you can move it to a temporary spot while your new one cycles and then GENTLY pour the water back in without disturbing your sand. Then set up the new one in that spot and just let it cycle. Thats the only way I can think of without risking fish. Good Luck! :happyfish

wax32

I plan to do a move just like this from a 29 to a 70. I am going to put my fish etc into a couple of containers until the tank is ready for them.