tank temp, 75 ok?

q

As Ban Guy is suggesting there are different temps in different reefs. In a few cases that would be fine but the average reef temp in the world is 82 and most people don't have tanks stocked from only one habitat.
Mine is 78-83 depending how long the lights have been on.

ophiura

:D LOL, but good point. Definitely some animals that do better in that temp range, but for most that you might buy I would reckon it is on the chilly side. 78-82 is a fairly common range, with a group calling for 78-80, and another that prefers 80-82. Another topic with different opinions, imagine that! :D

q

hey beanie where you form I got some grow out that I need to get rid of bad. Some LR too

bang guy

Originally posted by Beanie
Oregon
I buy them at the local fish store
in Oregon :/

I'm guessing you are a MicroSoft employee. Technically correct but not passing on any information :p

beanie

microsoft employee... nah i work for pepsi, and Q what did u mean grow out, I live in Corvallis, but if its worth it, I would totaly make a trip to help you out...?

seabry

I heard from a friend that, he keeps his tank temp low (about 78) he says that it helps keep algae down....I don't know if it's true but his stuff seems to be doing fine, mind you he only has triggers...I don't know if that has something to do with it.

bang guy

In days gone by we used to keep SW fish in low temps (below 80F). We found that they lived longer that way.
Truth be told... with the poor conditions we kept the fish in, they simply died slower in the cooler temps.
In modern aquariums we should be keeping these animals in an environment as close to natural as possible. For Red Sea creatures, this means 83 - 88F and for Carribean creatures 80 - 85F. 75F is almost 10 degrees too cold IMO.
Guy

beanie

CRAP, when i have my heater in the temp goes up to 80 but my circut breaker in my house kicks off, i got to much stuff going, i will just have to turn some stuff off

mdhyde

75 is an acceptable temp. But it is low and things will not grow as quickly. Raising the temp to 80 will yield a better growth rate.
I run my FO at 75 degrees; reef tank at 78.

q

What I was refering to is that my coral are growing too much. I have a mushroom rock that is all frags and a bunch of 4 inch green montiporah that I am about ready to throw away. It is growing like a weed. I have no good lfs to trade with so I want to give it away instead of throw it away.
My brothers girl friend is at OSU maybe she could bring it. I live about 5 hours from you in Milton-Freewater. Anyways if you are interested let me know.