tankmate for undulated trigger

B

blkmonday

i have a 72 gallon bow front tank with lots of live rock. i currently have a undulated trigger that is awesome i love this fish..but hes mean. i have a lunar wrasse thats larger than him and scared to death of him. any suggestions on a tank mate of any kind?? eels? urchins? maybe a lionfish?

R

rcreations

Short answer would be NONE. Seriously, undulates can't be with any other fish, even more so in such a small tank.

runn3rb3an

Originally Posted by blkmonday
http:///forum/post/3203149
i have a 72 gallon bow front tank with lots of live rock. i currently have a undulated trigger that is awesome i love this fish..but hes mean. i have a lunar wrasse thats larger than him and scared to death of him. any suggestions on a tank mate of any kind?? eels? urchins? maybe a lionfish?
No lionfish. Maybe a clown trigger or snow flake eel

aquaknight

And not to derail the thread or cause extra grievance, but a 72bow is pretty small for a larger Lunare Wrasse...

srfisher17

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3203344
Rocks make good tankmates with Undy's.
Yeah, but they have to be tough rocks. Any lion would be the worst possible choice. For some reason, it is common to think lions and tough triggers are a natural But, lions are slow moving and quite defenseless and most triggers (and many puffers) find their fins irresistible chew toys. Most Undys end up in a species tank by themselves (and the tough rock) after they have killed every tankmate their owners tried.

B

blkmonday

:( found the lunar wrasse skinned alive this morning...well i hope the undulated trigger enjoys his tank...i hope he at least gets big quickly...so far he's pretty chubby

R

rcreations

Originally Posted by blkmonday
http:///forum/post/3204664
:( found the lunar wrasse skinned alive this morning...well i hope the undulated trigger enjoys his tank...i hope he at least gets big quickly...so far he's pretty chubby
Don't count on it. They're very slow growers.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3204728
Don't count on it. They're very slow growers.
They sure are; and they don't have to get big to get mean. Like Clown Triggers, they can turn overnight. It isn't at all unusual for either of these fish to kill fish twice their size, when the day prior, they got along just fine.

R

rcreations

Problem I had with mine is that it was impossible to find any LFS to take him, even for free. They didn't want to put him with other fish and didn't have a whole tank just for this undy, especially since they don't sell for a whole lot. After a lot of searching I did find a local hobbyist to take him and it didn't go very well for him either. He ended up giving the fish to someone else too.

chrisnif

In the past I had an undy and SFE and a domino in a 20 gallon long, because the LFS said "sure that'll be fine for a while, undy's grow slow and the eel doesnt count much because he doesnt swim around"
The domino disappeared to which one I'm not sure. After finding the SFE on the floor one too many mornings I put a reptile screen on top of the tank. Three days later I awoke to 3 SFE "pieces" seems he was trying to escape for his life.
Lesson, if you live in Ocean County NJ, DONT shop at Aloha Pets :)

triggered

None............please don't.
What happens to the other fis is not pretty.
My hubby's undy not only killed, but ate my picasso.
Do not put any other fish in please.

small triggers

lots of rocks and small annoying damsels others are removing from their tank....thats it. I wouldnt put any other fish in there for the fact that you ARE going to lose it, but if you want some movement....damsels it could be, just relize they may get eaten or scared to death

B

blkmonday

i guess i might try a damsel or 2...i had a few blue devils a few years back..i actually gave them away because they were so mean. i also had a domino damsel for well over 4 years..he got huge and was pretty mean as well. at least they are cheap and somewhat interesting to watch. i really love the undy. he is a beautiful fish..so getting rid of him isnt really what i want to do. perhaps i will try the damsels..and arm them with switchblades

I have an 27" Tesselata Eel who is mean, really mean... I put a 5" undulated in with him and at first he was scared of the Eel, then as time went on he got more and more aggressive towards the Eel.. i thought it would be the exact opposite.. He didnt go at the eel face, but he constantly nipped at his tail.. I took him out almost immediately...
~grace