TDS reading of 1 in storage container

rickyh24

My TDS coming out of my unit is 0. I just checked the water in my storage container and the reading is 1. Does this have to do with the container itself or the powerhead and heater in it? and is this water still acceptable to start my reef tank out with?

meowzer

How long has it been in the container? I would use it......I think I read somewhere that the longer it sits in the container the tds can change....NOT 100% on that......

rickyh24

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3284464
How long has it been in the container? I would use it......I think I read somewhere that the longer it sits in the container the tds can change....NOT 100% on that......
I just started filling up the container today. Its a 35 gallon brute container. I read on another board that anything less than 10 ppm is acceptable for a reef tank. I may have to store this water until Monday before I start the tank though Saturday would be the earliest. I'm waiting on a live rock shipment.

rickyh24

Yeah I'm just hoping it doesn't continue to go up. I'm guessing I just didn't rinse out the container good enough before using it.

S

shrimpy brains

Was it a new container or has it been used for other stuff?

rickyh24

Brand new. I picked it at at Home Depot and gave it a rinse and wipe down. The water has been sitting in it for a couple hours now just being heated and circulated. I just tested it and got a reading of 0. I'm going to check it out again before I go to bed. I guess worst case scenario right now is my ppm is in between 0 and 1. No too bad right?

aquaknight

I'm sure you've heard of the wives-tale about that you're not suppose to drink DI water, right? Well like any good myth, there is always some truth to it. Water with a TDS of 0ppm, is about as 'pure' water as you can get. Water that basic, is pretty unstable, and likes to bond with stuff, even to the extent of pulling humidity out of the air, and any particles with it. This is where the wives-tale about drinking water stems from. If you drink DI it will rob your body of some nutrients. However you would have to drink sooo much of it, you will likely feel the affects of water poisoning first.
In your case, the DI water is likely pulling from the brand new Brute. With the container being new, it's important to monitor phosphates. If anything is going to leech out of a new plastic container, it will be phosphates.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by RickyH24
http:///forum/post/3284467
I read on another board that anything less than 10 ppm is acceptable for a reef tank.
That is going to strictly depend on where you're getting that water from. 10ppm from right after the RO membrane is fine. I guess someone could say tap water with a TDS of 10ppm is fine too, but I doubt that exists. But if you have an RO/DI unit, 10ppm is absolutely un
acceptable.
It is theoretically impossible for water to pass through DI media and not have 0ppm. Once the DI media is exhausted, it will start leeching the compounds it's absorbed. Not good. I usually wait till I'm getting 2ppm out of my DI, and then order new media.
Side question, what TDS meter are you using?

rickyh24

Its a handheld tds meter I got from the same site I ordered the unit from. I'm sure its pulling something from the container like you said. The unit is still producing 0 ppm.

btwk12

i just had a ro unit installed by culligan and the guy that put it in for me said that my tap water tds is about 115, and that after the ro filters it out it would be 10-15 at the lowest

acrylic51

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3284548
I'm sure you've heard of the wives-tale about that you're not suppose to drink DI water, right? Well like any good myth, there is always some truth to it. Water with a TDS of 0ppm, is about as 'pure' water as you can get. Water that basic, is pretty unstable, and likes to bond with stuff, even to the extent of pulling humidity out of the air, and any particles with it. This is where the wives-tale about drinking water stems from. If you drink DI it will rob your body of some
nutrients. However you would have to drink sooo much of it, you will likely feel the affects of water poisoning first.
In your case, the DI water is likely pulling from the brand new Brute. With the container being new, it's important to monitor phosphates. If anything is going to leech out of a new plastic container, it will be phosphates.
Agree.....Is this the reading your getting before adding salt? Are you using the same meter or 2 different meters? I'm assuming your testing your container with a handheld unit, and your RO/DI has an inline....Are you sure both meters are calibrated?

nycbob

a tds of 1 is nothing to worry about. most people who live in bad water areas cant even get tds of less than 5 coming out of their rodi units.

rickyh24

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3284639
Agree.....Is this the reading your getting before adding salt? Are you using the same meter or 2 different meters? I'm assuming your testing your container with a handheld unit, and your RO/DI has an inline....Are you sure both meters are calibrated?
I only have the handheld meter and this is testing before I have added salt.

rickyh24

ok this may be a really dumb question but......
I'm in the middle of setting up my tank. Just tested the water in the aquarium for the hell of it and the TDS is off the charts. Please tell me this is normal.

rickyh24

Fresh: <1,000 ppm TDS
Brackish: 1,000-5,000 ppm TDS
Highly Brackish: 5,000-15,000 ppm TDS
Saline: 15,000-30,000 ppm TDS
Sea Water: 30,000-40,000 ppm TDS
Brine: 40,000-300,000+ ppmTDS
is this accurate?

acrylic51

Originally Posted by btwk12
http:///forum/post/3284633
i just had a ro unit installed by culligan and the guy that put it in for me said that my tap water tds is about 115, and that after the ro filters it out it would be 10-15 at the lowest
115 TDS isn't bad....considering what some people have....Your TDS can vary during the course of the year as well. I find it hard to believe that he said a TDS 10-15 is the lowest....What is the rejection rate of the membrane they are using in the unit?