Tell me this isn't ICK....

thud

On my baby blue hippo tang.

If so I have a UV sterilizer and diatom filter (if that matters?)
None of the other fish have this...
Please tell me it's not ick...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Try reading the information on ich and hyposalinity in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum. The treatment info is there.

lesleybird

Hi, If you just got him I would wait it out. With the UV and the diatom filter when the spots fall to the bottom and hatch in a week or two the swimmers will not survive the diatom and the UV and the disease will slowly go away. If only one or two attach to the fish every now and then it will not kill them. If you want to try hyposalinity like some others on this board like then you can read up on it but it is a very difficult task to say the least. I am using Kick Ich medication and will add a diatom filter today. This medication can be used with a diatom filter but not with the UV as it will degrade the medication. Lesley

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
Hi, If you just got him I would wait it out. With the UV and the diatom filter when the spots fall to the bottom and hatch in a week or two the swimmers will not survive the diatom and the UV and the disease will slowly go away. If only one or two attach to the fish every now and then it will not kill them. If you want to try hyposalinity like some others on this board like then you can read up on it but it is a very difficult task to say the least. I am using Kick Ich medication and will add a diatom filter today. This medication can be used with a diatom filter but not with the UV as it will degrade the medication. Lesley
Hyposalinity is not difficult at all. Once the sg is at 1.009 you simply have to check the SG and do top offs with fresh water. It is not hard. I would not wait and rely on equipment that may or may not kill the parasite. Uv sterilizers only get the ich that are free swimming. Any bottom feeders or fish that swim close to the bottom (it does not have to be all of the time) will be attacked before the uv can do anything at all. Do you have a quarantine tank?

thud

I have several corals, 5 chromis, yellow tang--> (who also has ick, ugh) and others. (you get the picture)
It's going to be impossible to get these fish out to hypo within another tank...
What recourse do I have here that wont adversely affect my corals and inverts? I have bottom feeders that are just going to shoot into the rock...

thud

If I was able to remove the fish, could they be placed in copper and then over a weeks time do a few water changes? Will that still introduce copper to my display tank?
(sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm just thinking of any possible solution)
Or... remove all of my corals and inverts (EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!) and do hypo in the display tank?

georgev845

I feel it for you... I think my tang has just come down with ich and its making me really frustrated. Im going to try to Hypo in my QT soon and then add some medication. It stinks cause none of my other fish have it but my tang
IMO you shud hypo the sick fish and medicate then after 3-4wks when you clearly see no signs slowly add a few fish back into your display. Remember to water change your QT before you put the fish back in the display if your worried copper would enter the Display this is just my 2cts and what im planning to do.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by thud
If I was able to remove the fish, could they be placed in copper and then over a weeks time do a few water changes? Will that still introduce copper to my display tank?
(sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm just thinking of any possible solution)
Or... remove all of my corals and inverts (EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!) and do hypo in the display tank?

Are the corals covering your rock from side to side? The best way to remove the fish is to fashion a divider out of eggcrate (this is nicetry's idea) move some of your rock to the side. Add a little food to the bare side. When a fish swims over to get the food, drop the divider. It is not as hard as it seems. You do have to remove ALL of the fish. If you leave any behind the ich will continue to live. There is no need to medicate your fish. Your display should remain fishless for 6 weeks to be certain that all ich is dead.

mochabob

If you place them in a hospital tank copper can be used on them dont put anything else in the tank but the fish. Follow the directions on the bottle it may take several weeks to treat them.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Mochabob
If you place them in a hospital tank copper can be used on them dont put anything else in the tank but the fish. Follow the directions on the bottle it may take several weeks to treat them.
Not on a tang. Hyposalinity is the safest method of treatment.