Testing for Calcium

1911_guy

Quick question. I tested using Salifert and the color never changed from red to blue. Does that just mean the levels are about 500ppm? I don't have any corals.

shogun323

Seems like that would mean your calcium is through the roof. What does your Alk and PH read at? If your calcium is that high I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that your other levels would be thrown off.

shogun323

Also, are you using any additives such as B-ionic or Kalkwasser? If you are, I would stop using them since you don't have any corals. Good Luck!!

1911_guy

Originally Posted by shogun323
Also, are you using any additives such as B-ionic or Kalkwasser? If you are, I would stop using them since you don't have any corals. Good Luck!!

I don't use any additives at all. There are no corals in my tank.
I tested for Calcium on 11/13, the pH was 7.8...I'm getting ready to do a water change; the Alk was reading low

shogun323

Hmmm....... It would make sense for your Alk to be low if your calcium is through the roof, but I wonder why it would be so high?
How wierd. I would mix a fresh batch of saltwater in a bucket and let it sit with a heater and powerhead for 24 hours and then test it that. Are you using R/O water?

1911_guy

I'll try that, I'm getting ready to mix some for a water change. Yes, I use R/O water. I have been using Oceanic sea salts for a while, I heard they can produce high levels of Calcium.