The 10 gallon clownfish only experiment.

1guydude

most start with a fowler tank but just like me end up getting rid of the lg hermits and bringin home new lighting and new coral! IMOE

dsmccain

Funny how he claims he is experienced, but does not understand the cycling of a fish tank. Stick with goldfish pal.

rmthompson

Funny how you're an **foul language will not be tolerated** bro. It's a forum, quit taking it so personally. Stick to goldfish? Is that fish humor? HILARIOUS!

btldreef

Both of you knock it off. Foul language will not be tolerated. If you have no advice, stay out of the thread. You can disagree with what is being done, but do so in a polite way and offer your advice. If this banter continues the thread will be locked.

rmthompson

Added some more rock last night, and checked water levels. Ammonio is on the way down, but Nitrate/nitrite are up.
I also added a powerhead to add waterflow.

yannifish

I'm glad you've decided to cycle your tank without fish. Your fish will be much happier when you get him.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMThompson http:///forum/thread/384884/the-10-gallon-clownfish-only-experiment/20#post_3374560
Added some more rock last night, and checked water levels. Ammonio is on the way down, but Nitrate/nitrite are up.
I also added a powerhead to add waterflow.
LOL...I was trying ot get caught up on this.....first thing I thought was....hmmmm....no powerhead HAHA
I'd like to see the pics with the new rock too......ALSO....Just a thought....you might want to change your background to a solid black or blue....with SW it just brings more things out...just the natural colors will pop more

yannifish

Just a note, it looks like you have the airline hook up on you powerhead in. This isn't necessary, and unless you absolutely love the look of it, I'd take it out.

yannifish

Okay. I don't think it will hurt anything, it is just generally air stones and the like aren't used in saltwater tanks. I can't remember why (there is a reason), hopefully someone else will help here.

1guydude

looks better thompson. Dont forget to top ur water off it looks lower than in the other pic. The salt stays in as it dosent evaporate but u need to replace the water to keep salt levels "level" so to speak. The bubbles arent that harmful IMO but a lot of them over an exdended period grow into bigger bubbles under coral and rock! i would point the output or ur powerhead actuallt towards the front glass or something and not towards the surface just to creat optimal flow! Looks good though!
Quote:
I really like the rock pieces you have.
+1

yannifish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/384884/the-10-gallon-clownfish-only-experiment/20#post_3375148
looks better thompson. Dont forget to top ur water off it looks lower than in the other pic. The salt stays in as it dosent evaporate but u need to replace the water to keep salt levels "level" so to speak. The bubbles arent that harmful IMO but a lot of them over an exdended period grow into bigger bubbles under coral and rock! i would point the output or ur powerhead actuallt towards the front glass or something and not towards the surface just to creat optimal flow! Looks good though!
Yes, but be sure to top of with freshwater, not salt water.

rmthompson

OK guys, so I went to the LFS on day 12 after setting up the tank, and had them check the water. All parameters were at 0 (well as low as could be on the charts) and the LFS owner was impressed by the water quality.
So I bought a little clownfish, a TINY one in fact, and for some reason I STILL don't understand, also walked out of there with a starfish.
Within 30 minutes of acclimating, the starfish was missing a piece of one of his feet, and the emerald crab was eating it. not sure if he took it off, but the starfish was stressed enough to start falling apart. I am assuming it was a combination of moving, a 30 minute acclimation, and then not being able to bury himself complete in my sandbed... so he was removed after he started to "shed". I also found a bristleworm that I removed.
The LFS took the star back the next day and into quarantine, no word on if he made it.
ANYWAY the clown took it all in stride. He ate the next day, and eats everyday since. Eveyrone in my family says he is WAY too small to be in there alone:

so I am thinking about a damsel of some kind. Any recommendations? Also you'll notice a diatom bloom that I am not proud of :(
My next step is upgrading the lighting. Since I don't think I'll want HEAVY corals or stuff, I might grab one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Aquarium-Light-Hood-Strip-T5-36W-Freshwater-Marine-/110657350507?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8579917702475187419#ht_1478wt_905
Just to keep some zoos and whatnot.
Advice?