things that are exaggerated

whitey_028

Some people think that they cant have what they want because "they dont have the right lights" or "my tank isn't big enough to have that fish". My yellow tang,2 wrasses, 2 clowns,2 hippos had been doing fine in a 39 gallon for years, my leathers and clams have been doing fine in my 55 gallon for years under 2 1/2 watts per gallon pc for years. I am sorry and know im going to get flamed on this post but i dont care. I just want the new hobbyist to know that this is not rocket science and everything on these post are mostly opinions of what you should have. Also water changed dont have to be done every freakin week. Once the tank is established i have gone for months on my reef tank.

ophiura

Nothing says it better than a picture

But the thing is, what works for you may neither be what is best for the fish, or the best advice for another hobbyist. IMO, those fish SHOULD outgrow that tank easily, and if they haven't, that is a reason to wonder. If it is fine with you then I guess the fish better deal with it or die...while it can be done, it may not be the best way to do it. Many people have done the same, and failed, and you don't hear much about that.

ryanhayes9

wwwwwwoooooooooooooooo.............wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooo
oh snap i hear the TANG police LOL
J/k
ur advice is cool. i wanted a small blue hippo for my 29 for a long time... o well

team2jndd

Im probably going to get flamed as well but I don’t care. Bottom line is you are an ignorant {EDIT}. Of course you can keep creatures in systems with less than adequate size and equipment. The same can be said about a human being kept in a dark 6 by 6 cell for 50 years. Of course they can survive but it isn’t only the longevity that sets the prerequisites for what an adequate aquarium truly is. It is the happiness of the fish at hand. I don’t see your point with leathers they don’t demand much light but as for the clams I can guarantee you that they will not be as healthy as those who are kept under the proper lighting. I personally don’t care what you do to your own fish but do us all a favor and keep your opinions to yourself. You are corrupting the ideas of people who may actually value the stupidity you call advice for actual truth. People come here for information. Valid information not the opinions of some {EDIT} who feels he knows more than the scientists and experienced people who has derived other information. If you are new to fish keeping and have read this thread, do yourself a favor and do not accredit any validity to the statements made.

ophiura

I do have to ask that we don't resort to name calling. While we may disagree, I think the points can be made logically and without any references to idiots or otherwise, thanks
I believe flaming is the loss of reasonable discussion...when we call names instead of demonstrating why one way of doing something may be better than another. Some threads that have value can be ruined this way. While emotions run high, let's keep the tone under control.

emperor11

Originally Posted by team2jndd
Im probably going to get flamed as well but I don’t care. Bottom line is you are an ignorant fool. Of course you can keep creatures in systems with less than adequate size and equipment. The same can be said about a human being kept in a dark 6 by 6 cell for 50 years. Of course they can survive but it isn’t only the longevity that sets the prerequisites for what an adequate aquarium truly is. It is the happiness of the fish at hand. I don’t see your point with leathers they don’t demand much light but as for the clams I can guarantee you that they will not be as healthy as those who are kept under the proper lighting. I personally don’t care what you do to your own fish but do us all a favor and keep your opinions to yourself. You are corrupting the ideas of people who may actually value the stupidity you call advice for actual truth. People come here for information. Valid information not the opinions of some idiot who feels he knows more than the scientists and experienced people who has derived other information. If you are new to fish keeping and have read this thread, do yourself a favor and do not accredit any validity to the statements made.

emperor11

Originally Posted by ophiura
I do have to ask that we don't resort to name calling. While we may disagree, I think the points can be made logically and without any references to idiots or otherwise, thanks

Agreed...but he made his point clearly, and it was well-said. I agree, it could have been said without "idiots" but, honestly, the people who don't listen to the true advice, and "listen to themselves" after hearing advice, are nothing short of being one. They obviously don't care for the animal, if they aren't willing to give it its proper care. JMO

omgsaltwat

Originally Posted by ophiura
Nothing says it better than a picture

But the thing is, what works for you may neither be what is best for the fish, or the best advice for another hobbyist. IMO, those fish SHOULD outgrow that tank easily, and if they haven't, that is a reason to wonder. If it is fine with you then I guess the fish better deal with it or die...while it can be done, it may not be the best way to do it. Many people have done the same, and failed, and you don't hear much about that.

I agree...

dogstar

whitey.... maybe some people just CHOOSE to be humane. Is that OK.....
I agree with you about the water changes.....

ophiura

Originally Posted by promisetbg
Flashbacks of Beezlebob!
:hilarious
One mention of plant life and :scared:
:scared:

whitey_028

Im just wondering.Am i an idiot? These creatures have no soul,religion, heck half of them dont even have a brain. The idea of this hobby is to enjoy it and to do whatever it is thatyou want to do. It is ultimately Your desicion and have fun with your decision. The question is whats the line of humane? Bombing the ocean floor with dynamite so that they can catch the stunned fish so that we can stick them into our "little" 200 gallon tank is humane? The fish are sadly and ultimately doomed to death as we havent figured out how to breed them in captivity so weneed to enjoy them while we can.

S

sea_star

Well its true that this hobby isn't 100% natural to the animals, but most of us try to do the best we can. Bigger tanks are better for bigger fish. Good lighting is better for the corals that need them. I wouldn't encourage others to see how many fish they can fit into their small aquariums. Maybe it can be done but that doesn't mean that it should be done.

drewsta

Originally Posted by Emperor11
Agreed...but he made his point clearly, and it was well-said. I agree, it could have been said without "idiots" but, honestly, the people who don't listen to the true advice, and "listen to themselves" after hearing advice, are nothing short of being one. They obviously don't care for the animal, if they aren't willing to give it its proper care. JMO
But you yourself just said ADVICE which implies general opinions because humans are not walking FACT sheets. Who's to say that a person wouldn't be happy in a 6x6cell for 50 years you would not but others might (however odd that might be). If it works for him, then good for him! This is a hobby which is full of opinions and hearsay many facts but tons of opinions.. Have you kept 7 fish in a 39G aquarium if not than you have no reason to speak unless you talk to fish and understand them saying I need more space. I admire that he has had success with all those fish it says something about his passion for the hobby he must have outstanding water quality! Congratulations!!!!!

whitey_028

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
and if you think a 200 is small think how that tang fell's in a 55,.
He came from the billion gallon oceon like it makes that big of a difference after hes been stunned by dynamite. So where is the line drawn for the humane issue? do we all stop having fish tanks becasue its inhumane? The whole reason for this thread was to have hobbyist ENJOY their tanks and not worry about all the tree hugging issues that go with it. Its all common sense. Im not saying to put 20 fish in a beta bowl either.Just saying use common sense and good judgement on what works for the idividual.

dogstar

Sure there are different levels of how humane one can choose to be. Like leaveing them in the ocean is more humane than not, putting them in a 200g is more humane then a putting them in a 39g.
A lot less are collected like that now days and laws and limits ect. are on the books in more and more areas of the world. Heck, they just put 2 corals on the Endangered Species List for the first last week and I for one think its great.

fishieness

what type of clam?
how big are the fish?
i would love to see pics. and how do you know these fish are doing more than surviving, but are actualy "happy?". because i can just about garentee that not all of them are.

mystic7

Too little, too late, Whitey. I've fought this war 10 times already on this board. Notice how you can give your opinion and the people who disagree are the ones that start the name calling, but ultimately you will be blamed for starting a flame war.
In case I didn't make myself clear, I agree with you 100%. As for the happiness of the fish, like me I'm sure you consider them a display, not pets. Although they look pretty damn happy whenever I walk into the room!
Your turn, Emmitt. Sharpen your crayon.