Think My Tank Is Too Small?

Hi!

So I was planning on buying a Bursa Triggerfish I read online the minimum is 50 gallons, I have a 55 gallon. It says they can get 9 inches long my tank is 12.5 inches across and 4 and a half feet ( I think ) long and 24 inches tall ( I think) it's a common 55 gallon shape...

Anyways would the fish be stressed in this?

I was planning on adding three damsels with the Triggerfish and some snails ( I don't care if they get eaten )

How does it sound to you?

Tank is completely empty on the stand as of now.

lmforbis

I'd say 55 is too small for a trigger. A young one maybe temporarily but not long term. Damsels are fine in a 55 but the odds are you'd only have one in the end and it probably wouldn't be the trigger killing them.

Does anyone have any experience in keeping Dwarf Angelfish such as Coral Beauty Angelfish with large aggressive Damsel like the domino? They are both semi aggressive but I hear bad things from Dominos.

lmforbis

If the angel is added first it might work. I had 3 blue damsels who were great with all the fish in the tank until I added something new, then they went nuts and attacked the new addition. In the end the damsels had to go.

jay0705

The poor little damsel always getting a bad rap lol. Clowns are in the damsel family too. Now there are diff levels of nasty tho. Fiji blue devils prob the worst. Domino are up there too. Now I've had coral beauty's that could easily handle damsels I've had ones that can't. Its honestly a crap shoot. I have a yellow tail, maroon clown, dotty back , mandarin and scooter blenny. Its the dotty thats nasty the damsel and maroon supp to be very aggressive don't bother a thing.

Lets say I go the Damsel route, Four Stripe Domino, and Blue Damsel will lead to one left standing?

I don't want them breeding. But I don't want any aggression

One Damsel species per tank? With the Triggerfish idea gone I can get Cleaner Shrimp

jay0705

Damsels can get along. Its just a mater of luck. But yes they are reef safe. Meaning u can get shrimp

Imborbis " Damsels are fine in a 55 but the odds are you'd only have one in the end and it probably wouldn't be the trigger killing them."

What happened lol?

lmforbis

Personally I love blue damsels. They are beautiful fish that provide a lot of movement in the tank. I may get another one in the future when I have everything else that I plan to get.

I have a maroon clown fish in quarantine. Barely an inch long and has gotten very territorial in there. Every time I clean the glass with the magnetic cleaner it attacks it. I am starting to doubt my choice. Hopefully in my 125 it won't be as much of an issue.

As for small peaceful fish. I have a fire fish that doesn't cause any trouble. I also have a royal gramma. Not really bottom dwelling but stays in or near the rocks.

lmforbis

Imborbis " Damsels are fine in a 55 but the odds are you'd only have one in the end and it probably wouldn't be the trigger killing them."

What happened lol?
They will usually kill each other. Sometimes multiples work but often they don't. A lot of rock work so they can set up different territories will help.

Yeah I don't expect a clear answer from anyone I know it comes down to circumstances however I enjoy hearing your experiences to inform me.

I think I'm going with Damsels

Stocking so far..

Domino, Blue, and Four Stripe with cleaner shrimp and snails.

I'm hoping the three will play nice because they will all be added at once and they will be in a 55 with plenty of hiding spaces.

Also same size, with the four stripe slightly smaller.

This is just my plan so far.. Excited to be posting videos and pics some what soon, please speak up if anyone has concerns.

Just the Damsel Squad
I figure the less I have, the better the chances of them not fighting.
Now comes the ideas for aquascape.

Last edited:

pegasus

I have a maroon clown fish in quarantine. Barely an inch long and has gotten very territorial in there. Every time I clean the glass with the magnetic cleaner it attacks it. I am starting to doubt my choice. Hopefully in my 125 it won't be as much of an issue.
If it's showing that kind of aggression now, just wait until it's about 4" in size. You won't be able to put your hand in the tank without being attacked. Clowns have some pretty sharp teeth and can inflict a pretty stinging bite. I had a tomato that attacked me every time I reached in the tank, but I was always quick enough that it never drew blood. Just thought I should warn you...