thinking of getting a quarantine

zoidberg01

So every time I go to the beach I have seem wrasses, tangs, gram as , blenies, gobies, angels and etcetera but I am thinking to get them. First of all do I need a permit or something . Two do I need a special filter. And three do I put a substrate some people say to and other say not to

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg01 http:///t/397171/thinking-of-getting-a-quarantine#post_3539160
So every time I go to the beach I have seem wrasses, tangs, gram as , blenies, gobies, angels and etcetera but I am thinking to get them. First of all do I need a permit or something . Two do I need a special filter. And three do I put a substrate some people say to and other say not to

Hi,

I don't know if it's against the law or not....

Depending on the size of the fish you want to quarantine...I always used a little 10g or 20g tank. You don't need nor want substrate, because if the new fish is sick, you want to be able to dose the tank with medicine. An empty tank is easy to know the measurement of medication to use. Either paint the outside bottom, or use a towel under the tank ... something about the bottom reflection creating disorientation to the fish.

Use a little HOB filter, a sponge from the established tank is ideal since it will eliminate the need to cycle the QT...otherwise it too must be cycled before use.

Always have pre-mixed and ready to use saltwater on hand in a tub with circulation, just in case you have any water quality issues such as an ammonia spike. (little tanks can go bad fast)

A small tank doesn't need a power head, an air pump with air line tubing is just fine for moving the water. Attach the line to a tank decoration or piece of PVC pipe via rubber-band. The piece of pipe or décor is also to give the new fish a place to hide and feel secure.

That's it, that's all you need. A tank, air line (no stone), HOB filter, extra saltwater on hand, and a piece of plastic

If you have it on hand...macroalgae is perfect for keeping a little tanks water parameters up to snuff.