This may be a totally stupid question, but...

lovemyfish

How do anenomes get sucked up by the powerheads? I just bought a sebae anenome and I believe he has found his home, but I now that they sometimes want to find a new one (very rare, I know)...I'm worried that it will get sucked up in our powerheads now. How does it happen? Is there anything that I can do to prevent it?
Also, I know they get fed meat twice a week, but how much? It's about 4 to 5 inches in diameter.
Thank you!

reeferx

If you run the powerheads wide open without the plastic strainer (for lack of a better word) or the sponge pre-filter on it, this could happen.
BTW, there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.

salty guy

I dont know how it happens but I do know it does. I had one Looooooooooooong time ago and it got sucked up into the plastic strainer thing on the intake of my filter at the time (fluval 404)
Stupid thing was in a safe place for months then one day I cam home and he was all sucked up into the pipe. I had to shut down the filter and remove the pipe and all. It took several hours but he got out. Never died but never looked very good after that.

keitho

yes, unfortunately anemones can be drawn into the suction side of a powerhead and shredded by the impeller. not only will this seriously foul a tank, but it can also be prevented by using the above mentioned strainer or sponge AND making sure your anemone is happy where he is (so he won't have the inclination to move)! :)