time to move

debbie

Well, the time is coming to move my buddies from their 10 gal home into my 25 gal. I want to do this trasition as easily as possible. I would love to hear some opinions if this is the best way to do this.
My 25 gal currently is a freshwater. I will be draining all water from it, give it a light cleaning and then add 15 gal of RO/DI water to it. Salt will be added accordingly at that time. I plan on letting that cycle for a whole day. I then would add all the water, sand, rock, fish and inverts from the 10 gal into the 25 gal. Would this be okay to do?
All filters would go into this 25 gal as well, the only thing new would be the 15 gal of water but everything else would be from the 10 gal that is running.
Would my CC starfish and my purple urchin be okay through this all? I know my two clowns and my yellow tail damsel will be fine but I am worried about the starfish and urchin.?
To me this tank would not by cycling or would it?
All feedback greatly appreciated......Deb

acekjd83

that's exactly how i moved from 29g to 50g... all went well
even have a sand-sifting star that survived transition. the sand will have a small cycle, since you will be greatly disrupting bacterial populations...

scotts

That sounds like a good plan. However just keep in mind that for a day or so your tank will be very cloudy. You might want to keep your livestock in a separate container for this day, or even possibly longer. You can use clean 5 gallon buckets for this or a rubbermaid container.
Scott