Tiny Hippo Tang

errattiq

Here's the experience I've had with Hippos. I wouldn 't venture to say they aren't a hardy species when in fact they actually are. HOWEVER, I believe they are a very touchy species only at the beginning of acclimation to your tank. I've had ultra small, medium and large sized hippos at one time or another and they have all gone through some pretty drastic parameter changes. When I first acquired them though, I was careful to keep everything stable, I'm a firm believer that nitrate doesn't affect them to be honest because I've had bad nitrate spikes that each one of my hippos not only survived but managed to thrive through. So in summation, acclimate them slowly (drip acclimate for a few hours), manage your tank closesly the first few weeks or so and as soon as your hippo is coming out and not playing dead nearly as much as it used to, I'd say your hippo is fairly well acclimated to its surroundings and should be able to handle ALOT more than you think it can. In addition, be sure to get a specimen that doesn't already look sick or lethargic. That will go a loooooong way with these fish. hope this helps
-Josh

srfisher17

Originally Posted by errattiq
http:///forum/post/3166269
Here's the experience I've had with Hippos. I wouldn 't venture to say they aren't a hardy species when in fact they actually are. HOWEVER, I believe they are a very touchy species only at the beginning of acclimation to your tank. I've had ultra small, medium and large sized hippos at one time or another and they have all gone through some pretty drastic parameter changes. When I first acquired them though, I was careful to keep everything stable, I'm a firm believer that nitrate doesn't affect them to be honest because I've had bad nitrate spikes that each one of my hippos not only survived but managed to thrive through. So in summation, acclimate them slowly (drip acclimate for a few hours), manage your tank closesly the first few weeks or so and as soon as your hippo is coming out and not playing dead nearly as much as it used to, I'd say your hippo is fairly well acclimated to its surroundings and should be able to handle ALOT more than you think it can. In addition, be sure to get a specimen that doesn't already look sick or lethargic. That will go a loooooong way with these fish. hope this helps
-Josh
Your emphasis on acclimation should be repeated everywhere. I think it is a vital part of introducing any new fish. I think QT is too. BTW; I don't think, and have never seen credible written evidence, that nitrates hurt any fish (inverts are another thing). Of course, it should be kept under control with water changes and other basic habits. If nitrates are under 60-80 ppm (or pick a number) in a fish only tank; I don't get concerned at all.

roberteb

I've had my hippo since he was the size of a dime. He's about 3" but now has HLLE and it's getting worse. I've heard that hippos are susceptible to HLLE.

bpro32

Ok so I'm picking up 3 of these little guys to be going into a 10g qt. I'll let everyone know what I'm doing and what kind of success I have with them.

flower

Originally Posted by bpro32
http:///forum/post/3185273
Ok so I'm picking up 3 of these little guys to be going into a 10g qt. I'll let everyone know what I'm doing and what kind of success I have with them.

???? in a 10g

Hippo tangs are easy to stress. They need reef temps, that means 80s not 70s. They need lots of room to swim, good nutrition and non-aggressive tank mates.
They succumb to illness if these needs are not met, be it ich or HLLE

yes, so sadly sensitive, I went through 3 and then gave up in my nano. Nemo was so excited when one would arrive :( he would court them and everything (don't ask he's one confused clownfish) Then they would dissapear, I was lucky enough to keep one for about a week. Very finicky eaters