Tiny Starfish?

artist55

I've got this little thing that keeps showing up in different places on my LR. It's about 3/8 of an inch around and has 6 little arm type things. It's a light lavender in color. I can not see it actually move but it is in different places during the day. Could this be some kind of tiny starfish?

artist55

I'll see if I can borrow a digital camera. This thing has me baffled and I can't find anything that looks like it on the net.

fishieness

here is my guess, an asterina starfish. Very small. i have tons in my tanks. They are a lavender color on top also. I also dont see mine moving much during the day, but they do end up in different spots
http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/0105/astrina.jpg
NOTE to mods: The link above is jsut a picture and does not go to another site selling them for any reason. I hope that is okay? :happyfish

artist55

Can't tell if that's what it is or not because I have never seen the underside of it. The thing I have doesn't look so symmetrical. The appendages are of different shapes and lengths. As far as I know there is only that one. I'll have to try and get a pic of it. Thank you for all your replies.

ophiura

It is entirely possible it is still Asterina. I am starting to see a lot of variation and I think I would like to start a photo diary! Most of mine have 6-8 arms, typically unequal. I think I have at least 2 species in my system.

tangs123

{edit - out of respect to the owner and operator of this site, please do not post links to other stores, thanks
}
may be a coral eating starfish, i had a few but they have seemed to dissapear

ophiura

VERY VERY FEW of these stars cause any problems whatsoever in a tank. The way garf carries on, you would think that you should eradicate these stars at first sight! Most of these seastars - and a very large number of people have them - cause no trouble whatsoever. they are virtually impossible for hobbyists to distinguish. If they are a coral eating star, then they would clearly be making a visible impact on the tank. However, many are guilty by association. A certain coral in not doing well...I have these stars...therefor the coral is HEALTHY and being EATEN. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and quite possibly the coral is dying and the stars are attracted to it.
Many people have these stars, and have no coral whatsoever. They are very unlikely to go from being an algal/bacterial film grazer to being a coral eater. It is typically one diet or another. So while some can be a problem, it is a very small percentage of the people who have these in their systems, IMO.
Take home message: Watch, but don't worry much

artist55

Very good to know, thanks a lot. Update: Since I first posted this thread the "whatever it is" has moved way down to the bottom of the piece of LR it was on. So now I'm sure it's a living thing. It doesn't seem to be disturbing the corraline algae on the rock, just moving around. Only other things in there that it might bother are some feather dusters which I'll bet is almost inpossible, and a small frag of zoos. So I'm not going to worry about it, just enjoy it. All these kinds of happenings are really going to force me to cough up the money for a digital camera. I guess sometimes it's not even necessary to have fish in a tank with all the other creatures you start to find after a while. As long as they're not harmful ones. I get tons of enjoyment out of my little 30 gal tank. I can just imagine when I can get a big one.

tangs123

from what i read, they can eat SPS corals first so if you see a decline in these species then i would reccomend u take the starfish out,
they will reproduce when all of their six legs are the same length

bang guy

Originally Posted by tangs123
I have some that are reproducing that never have the same length legs. IMO they reproduce when they have the energy to split, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with leg length IMO.

ophiura

Originally Posted by tangs123
from what i read, they can eat SPS corals first so if you see a decline in these species then i would reccomend u take the starfish out,
I have some SPS corals and they do NOT eat it. There are SEVERAL species in this hobby and VERY few eat SPS corals and you would KNOW it if it was a problem. Not all have 6 arms...the number and size of arms is of little use as an identifying feature. Even seastar experts have problems with this group.
This sort of alarmism does not help,and pretty much only garf hypes it, so far as I can tell.
These are not animals that go from eating bacterial/algal films on the glass to suddenly eating SPS corals. They are specific in their dietary choices. This is an important concept to understand.
LOTS of people have these stars with SPS corals and have no issues. I had them for YEARS with no SPS corals at all...the reproduced in this tank.
Unless you can prove that you have this problem, DO NOT waste your time trying to remove these seastars. You might as well not bother to continue in the hobby. They are cryptic and reproduce well. You are unlikely to get them all unless they do congregate on your SPS corals in which case....you have the problem species.
There was a thread on another board that basically made this same claim. They saw some Asterina underneath a Montipora that was showing tissue loss. They ASSUMED it was the stars. Guilt by association! It was the only coral in a total SPS reef that had this problem. And when they looked further, indeed it was NOT the stars, but an Monitpora eating nudibranch.
All in all, the actual number of instances of them eating corals is VERY low relative to the number of people who have them. I does happen, but simply because you have these stars does NOT mean they will eat SPS, soft corals or anything you desire. Most will cruise the glass and rockwork, esp at night. They do not wander aimlessly hoping to find a coral.

fishieness

Originally Posted by ophiura
indeed it was NOT the stars, but an Monitpora eating nudibranch.
i hate those!

anyways, i enjoy all mine. they are in all 3 of my tanks and there are the most in my reef with softies, lps, and sps and i have had no problems with them eating anything

also, as far as the number of arms, i have them ranging anywhere from 8 arms to 2 arms. I actualy have one that is jsut a line. haha

artist55

New update: Seems this little guy does not like light because when I turned the PCs on this morning he slowly headed for a place under the LR. I can see that a little bit of some green algae has been eaten off the rock he was on.