Tires and roads don't last forever, and there's a very specific reason for that...

Lately here in Ohio, the running thing to complain about is how there are just oh so many potholes from this past winter. This is true. There is no arguing here. Some are like mini Grand Canyons. It's bad.

One of my customers brought up a point, which I thought most people kind of knew and understood. However, when I explained it to him, he acted like I was on meth.

To summarize, I basically told him that almost everything, from roads to tires, mattresses to automobiles; are built specifically not to last. I then told him the reason is two fold. One, if you can build something cheaper, and force people to replace them often, it makes great sense financially for the business owner. And the other big thing, that I think some people overlook, are all the jobs and careers associated with these items.

Let's say in a dream world, cars were built to last 20 years, roads were engineered to never breakdown, and your tires never lost their tread. Would that be awesome for the consumer? Sure.

However, there would be almost no jobs. Not that there is much manufacturing left here in the States, but imagine if the small amount that was here had its workforce reduced by 95%.

So while driving through these potholes sucks, it's a catch 22, because everything from the people who manufacture the shovels and trucks, to the guys that mix the repair compound, to the city workers who fix them, to the gas industry who fuels the trucks, etc...

It's a huge infrastructure of workers and money that this country couldn't function without.

Can you imagine what would happen to this country if everything was built to last?!? Yikes.

2quills

This wouldn't be a problem if law makers and tax payers quit taking the road funds money and spending it on other things. Every state taxes gas for being able to fix the roads. But the money never gets spent there. Our city just implemented a $5 per month "road utility fee" onto everybody's water, gas and waste bill to "really" go after this problem. We'll see.
It's an old link but still applicable...Uttp://www.roadsbridges.com/lack-funds-hampers-texas-road-projects
Lack of funds hampers Texas road projects
TxDOT will delay $965 million in road construction work this fiscal year
State transportation officials announced Sept. 27 that federal and state lawmakers have taken so much money from the highway department that it is running out of funds to build roads.
Rising construction costs, which have climbed 62% in five years, helped contribute to the dwindling funds. Federal cutbacks, new restrictions on hampering private investments in toll roads and state diversions of gas-tax funds have suspended projects and could cancel others.
In this fiscal year, the Texas Department of Transportation will delay $965 million worth of road construction work.
“People need to understand that, within a very short time period, there will be no new capacity added,” said Texas Transportation Commission member Ned Holmes.
Unless a new way to add revenue is found, TxDOT will reach that point in a few years—and it will be much harder to add to lists of projects to widen roads.
Further worsening the situation, in 2011 and 2012 officials plan to cancel $865 million set aside for new road lanes and put it toward maintenance.
Regular maintenance is cheaper over time because it forestalls costlier reconstruction, said head TxDOT Amadeo Saenz.
“You might say we’re taking from peter to give to Paul,” Saenz said. “In the long run, we will lose less ground.”
Source: Houston Chronicle