To Beth or Terry: Q-plan. Wise or waste?

I am in process to start up two 29 Gallon SW reef tank and FOWLR. Before I start those up and I am going to have to set up Q tank at the same time. (I was SW aquarist off-on for 20 years with little success. Now I have my desire to success this time after recognize many of my mistakes that I had made in the past.) That is why I am starting up two 29 gallon to ensure how well of my capability to success before I go for BIGGER tank! :D For now two 29 gallon tanks will be consider as "Display or main tank".
Anyway I plan to get a 20L, this tank will be with less than 3 inch DSB, around 10-15 lbs LR (less than half section of tank) for new fish to start with it. (I am considering to get Penguin 330 (Biowheel purpose to immediate "seed" Q tank to reduce stress-risks) and Tetratec 150 with heater for water movements without need powerheads) Reason of consider that is because I do not think it is fair to put a healthy fish into a empty tank so why should I risk to stress them more? If the new fish show a clean of health bill in that tank for a month without any sign of illness then fish will move to 29 gallon.
If fish should develop such ICK or any illness then I will move them to a 10 gallon (empty) tank to undergo the medication or hydro (I never done that one but will have to learn when it happens.) Of course I will throw in a 3 to 5 inch PCV pipe in tank to shelter fish. Should I also throw in around 5 cups of sand in that tank too? (I am considering to get a Penguin 125 or 170 whichever biowheels are fittable from 330 and Tetratec 150 with heater as I do not want to further stress fish by putting my hands in tank to change temp or whatever. Moreover it is LOT cheap to buy Whisper-relate pad/carbon.) I will use "cheap" fish such as Damsel to keep both tanks cycle and remove them upon introduce new fish in either of tank(s).
I will keep both of them cycling and run all the time and be handy whenever should happen.
If new fish happen to become sick in that 20L and move to 10 gallon and I will have to keep 20L fishless for more than 4 weeks while the fish are under treatment in Q tank. I will have to house Damsel somehow. (Maybe get a "cheap" 5 gallon eclipse tank for Damsel to stay for a few weeks...... )
How does the plan sound? Over-plan? Wise plan? Sorry so lengthy but would appreciate to know whether this plan is wise or over-plan before I start buy the Q-tanks and equipments.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, Angelfish.....so glad that you are going to start QTing new fish.
I wouldn't set it up that way though. Qts don't have to be empty at all, but putting substrate in them and even LR is a not a good idea.
By chance, did you read the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum? There is a long post on setting up QT. Also, there were some recent discussion about QT and the issue of substrate [within the past wk] in this forum. See if you can search for it using substrate and my name in the Search.
I gotta run to work right now, but I'll check back later. In the meantime, take a look at the info I mention.