To drill or not to drill, that is the question!

tankgirl1

Hi folks.
I am about to embark on a new setup and I want some input. For me, there has been no better tool than reefer message boards, so feel free to comment!

I have a 90G w/bottom-drilled overflow
This has been a bit of a sore-spot for years. So... I am considering all options for my new set up.
To drill or not to drill.... top, bottom, sides.... what are all of your thoughts on this, and what do you have?
Thx!

scsinet

I'm having trouble following... you did NOT like the drilled bottom on the 90g?
What is your new setup? What size tank is it? Drilled bottom tanks are generally preferred by aquarists due to their reliability.
If your new project is anything bigger than 20g, then it's almost certain that the bottom of the tank is tempered, so drilling the bottom is not an option, you'll have to drill the back or side.

tankgirl1

I want a 125G... my 90G was bottom drilled and ended up cracking, which has caused multiple repairs. From what I understand, bottom drilling is not the norm.... so, I want to know what my options are.
Thx!!

nietzsche

Originally Posted by tankgirl1
I want a 125G... my 90G was bottom drilled and ended up cracking, which has caused multiple repairs. From what I understand, bottom drilling is not the norm.... so, I want to know what my options are.
Thx!!
yeah just drill the back and add an overflow to cover it