Todays ***** visit....OMG

srfisher17

Originally Posted by BCspeed34
The past times I have visited, the fish just looked awful. Ich everywhere in the larger tanks on the bottom.
You can't see ich unless its embedded in a fish; may have been small roaches.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by cpbirds407
...and on top of all that, there are a lot of "opinions" in this business. Other than the facts of parameters of the water quality and other vital things, most of the things that we discuss here are just opinions. For example; Should I keep an anemone under MH or T-5? or should I cycle my tank with a dead shrimp or damesels? and that sort of thing. However, fish should live in *****, free of ick and not being played with by poking it to make it move!!! :) ...just my last thoughts. LOL
I agree 100% with you on this. The last time I was in *****, they had a young lady working the floor in saltwater. I noticed that the tank with the clown fish was very bad. The fish were very sick just sitting on the bottom. I ask her about it and was told "I don't know, I work the dog department and I'm filling in until they hire a fish guy." Now that is a management problem.

vapd3129

I would assume that the pay is somewhere around minimum wage. At that pay scale, the only help they are likly to get are kids looking for after school jobs.
Can't imagine that the manager makes much more.

srfisher17

We can kick this around for months;but, IMO, SW fish are no more morally valuable to ***** than frozen halibut is to Wal-Mart. ***** is a big business first, animal welfare is only as important as to how it effects the bottom line. Unless the law changes, they have a right to do business that way--BUT THEY WON"T GET ANY OF MY $.

I agree with all of the people that are against *****. The last thing that I bought from ***** was a live plant for my freshwater
tank, after I had it for a couple of weeks I started to notice these little worms all over the glass eating algea. After a little research I found out that the worms were the equivalent to a tape worm, but for fish. There is no known way to get rid of the little

[hr]
!!!! To this date the worms have claimed 5 of my freshwater fish, and the rest of them don't look to far of from the big fish tank in the sky

danieljames

Wow, I can't believe it's not just me! I've been to (3) different *****'s and thought that the fish looked very sickly. Thought this may have just been on bad days(haha) I guess I was right about their attentiveness to their animals.

meathead

Originally Posted by Meathead
New guy here with another basic question:
I don't know anything about triggers, but why is it a bad idea to feed one a goldfish? Does it pollute the water or is it harmful to the trigger?

Anyone know?

scsinet

Originally Posted by Meathead
Anyone know?
Since this particular post isn't about *****, I'll answer.
Live food in general is a poor idea for fish in the first place. They can bring in diseases, viruses, parasites, etc etc etc.
Feeding a saltwater fish freshwater fish is the equivalent of eating nothing but potato chips. Sure, it'll keep you alive... for a while... but it has no real nutritional value and contains loads of everything that's bad for you... fish need to be fed what they'd be eating in the wild.
As for everyone else, let this thread die. Every few months there's another ***** bashing thread. It always starts the same way... somebody talks about a bad trip to ***** and everyone jumps on the bandwagon and it drones on for pages and pages until the mods close it. Let it go.

cpbirds407

Originally Posted by Waterlogged
Pay a person a livable wage and you won't have such a turnover of employees.
I second that!

spiderfist

our local ***** is very above average ( better than most local aquatic stores ) . they very rarely have ich or diseased fish , and if by chance they do; they are quarantined. they have healthy live rock, corals, anenome, crabs, alot of fish and a knowledgable staff. personally, i only feed frozen/live food anyways. flakes are for goldfish. that sucks for all of you who have crappy petcos. I have heard more fish problems from people in my area who buy from this site than our local *****.thats my experience anyways.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by cpbirds407
I second that!
Yeah! It sounds like PetSmart is going saltwater, then there'll be a new target!

bcspeed34

Originally Posted by srfisher17
You can't see ich unless its embedded in a fish; may have been small roaches.
By that I meant the ich was on the fish in the bottom tanks, not the bottom of the tanks.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by BCspeed34
By that I meant the ich was on the fish in the bottom tanks, not the bottom of the tanks.
Now it makes sense! But, because it was at ***** (one more jab before they close the thread) the roaches answer made sense.