Toodstool Leather

donna2933

I have a toodstool leather and I think it may be getting too much light and too much current. It is shrinking up and not expanding. I have (2) 40 watt bulbs (Blue & full sprectrum) and I use (2) metal halides 4 hours a day. The leather is located close to the top of the aquarium. Should I put the leather close to the bottom and more in a shaded area? All my other corals,polyps,mushrooms & etc are doing fine.
Thanks Donna

badboyj

Originally Posted by donna2933
I have a toodstool leather and I think it may be getting too much light and too much current. It is shrinking up and not expanding. I have (2) 40 watt bulbs (Blue & full sprectrum) and I use (2) metal halides 4 hours a day. The leather is located close to the top of the aquarium. Should I put the leather close to the bottom and more in a shaded area? All my other corals,polyps,mushrooms & etc are doing fine.
Thanks Donna
I just got one today and it's doing the same thing , before I go to bed I'am going to move it down and out of current , hopefully that works

reefkprz

not to disagree with you folks but leathers actaully do like moderate to moderate high flow, they dont want to be blasted by a power head at all times but rapid current assists in shedding.

gmford1979

mine does the same about once every two weeks. it will turn a greenish color and sag, then maybe two days later, it will be back standing tall and pretty. the greenish color kinda freaked me out at first, but its just part of it. and the powerheads aide him in the shedding.

ninjamini

How long have you had it. It may be adjusting to your tank or light. How did you acclimate to the tank. How did you acclimate to the mh.
I have a toad stool for 3 years. And it was never so happy until I put it right under the mh and increased the flow in the tank. Now it gets awesome extension.
I would say aclimation. Give it time.
What is the tank chemistry? LEts see some numbers.

badboyj

Originally Posted by ninjamini
How long have you had it. It may be adjusting to your tank or light. How did you acclimate to the tank. How did you acclimate to the mh.
I have a toad stool for 3 years. And it was never so happy until I put it right under the mh and increased the flow in the tank. Now it gets awesome extension.
I would say aclimation. Give it time.
What is the tank chemistry? LEts see some numbers.
chemistry is good , but I never acclimate to MH , I was told by LFS that all I had to do was water aclimation NOT light
, my lights where off all night and I move it down to the bottom of my tank before I went to bed , and today it is starting to open..........had to be the light
, everything else in the tank is doing good........thanks for your help.

ninjamini

Well its a leather dont worry too much about light acclimation.
Next, you are too new to take the advice of the LFS. Come here and ask for unbiased opinions. Get ideas then do what you think. There is alot of ways to do reefs.
Next post the questions b4 you buy. You will save alot of time and money not buying the wrong thing.
IF you see a coral you like at the lfs get the name and ask about it.
Also spend you free time here. You will learn alot.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14

badboyj

Well its a leather dont worry too much about light acclimation.
Next, you are too new to take the advice of the LFS. Come here and ask for unbiased opinions. Get ideas then do what you think. There is alot of ways to do reefs.
Next post the questions b4 you buy. You will save alot of time and money not buying the wrong thing.
IF you see a coral you like at the lfs get the name and ask about it.
Also spend you free time here. You will learn alot.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14

thank you , and I will

badboyj

Also dont feel bad. We all buy on impulse. I have and from time to time I still want to so bad.
some of us learn the hard way.....

azfishgal

When I bought my Toadstool it did great for about 4 days then it kept it's polyps in and developed this web like stuff all over it. Found out later it was only shedding. After a week of being closed up it opened up and is bigger now. I have mine at the top of the rock under 250W MHs medium to heavy flow, he loves it!!!! He's doubled in size from a month ago.
You can see the leather at the top of the rock work...

This is what it looked like when it was shedding....I've since fragged this leather into two (sold one to another reefer).

Happy Toadstool.

mbnum2

Yup, I have a good looking toad too, he is placed at the bottom in medium flow..I dont really think the lighting matters that much. My skunk clown will actually lay in it on occasion, its pretty cool