Toxic Rocks!

My friend let his tank go to crap, so I asked some for some of his stuff..... I got his power heads and live rock. Well his tank was so bad that I want to uncure these rocks first. What should I do? I'm only using half now, the other half will be in a tank that I'm building for the new house. Someone told me to boil them!? Also soak them in vinegar for a day then take them out wash them off and scrub them then let them dry. Also just let them dry out for a week or two.. But id like to be able to put them in pretty soon.

1snapple

I would just get a big tub of RO water and Dip for a day, scrub, then dip for another 2-4 hours.

I thought about doing that, but didn't know how effective it would of been. I really want everything on those rocks dead.... He had pistol shrimp, stone crabs, etc. Ill prob giver that a try, but ill let it soak for a while longer. One of those crabs lived in none RO water for awhile. One came out of something of his that we were cleaning one time and put it in a glass of water to see how long it lived... I think it didn't die at all, so we put it back in his tank.

spanko

1part bleach to 10 parts water. Soak the rock a day. Pull it out scrub the bejeesus out of it, rinse it off well then sit is a bucket or ro water with a commercial dechloinator in it.

Hm so if i were to put it in a 6 gallon bucket... How much bleach would i put in there? assuming there wont be 6 gallons in there. Also how long should it sit in the RO water?

spanko

6 Gallons = 24 quarts
So about 2 quarts of bleach and 22 quarts of water will be fine.
A day or two in the RO is fine.