Trigger with Ich or Lympho?

hatessushi

Here is a pic. I can't really tell. I will try to get another pic if he comes out from his cave. I just got him 4 days ago, I put him in QT and this started showing up 2 days ago. Here are the params;
12gal. QT
PH - 8.1
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - .1
Nitrates - 2 to 5
dKH - 9.9
meq/L - 3.54
SG - 1.024
Temp - 80
He is feeding ok and when I am not near the tank he swims around ok.

hatessushi

The more I look at it I believe it is Lymphocystis. The white is not actually specks or sandy looking. It is more fuzzy or cauliflower looking. My coral beauty, maroon clown and Kole all got lympho when I got them and was able to lose it after good feeding with vitamins, garlic and good water parms.
This trigger seems to have it more around his body though. I will watch him over the next few days and see what happens.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it does kinda look like lymphocyctis. Is the fish in a QT?

hatessushi

Yes, he is in QT. I put him in there when I got him. Today I blocked the sides of the tank and turned the lights down to night lights. I also gave hime fresh garlic when I fed him. Tonight he is looking a little better.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are you feeding him, and how often? Does have any hiding spots in the QT?

hatessushi

He has had frozen formula one, mysis, and pellet formula 1 soaked in garlic x-treme, and some soaked in vita-chem.
There is a fake rock with coral fixture for him to hide in and he wedges himself when he cocks the trigger. He looks a little better this morning. There is a slight cloudiness to his eyes.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Soak the food in REAL garlic. The other really does not work. You might want to also try some fresh foods. Take a look at the info-posts on garlic and a food recipe sample in the FAQ Thread at the top of the Disease Forum.

hatessushi

I just got some real garlic last night with the intention of feeding him today with it. I have been feeding him once a day. Should I feed him more then once until he gets over this?
Beth, thanks for all you help...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would feed 3x a day at this point, 1 feeding with the fresh garlic. If you can get zoecon, use it on 1 feeding a day. Use a turkey baster to target feed.

hatessushi

Thanks Beth, I will feed him 3 times a day for the next 2 weeks before He goes into the DT. I don't plan on counting the 2 weeks until all signs are gone though.

hatessushi

By the way Beth, when you mince your garlic do you just use the juice or the minced meat part also? I was assuming even the solid part but want to make sure before I do it.

hatessushi

I managed to get some scallops and shrimp blended with some vita-chem and garlic. The stores I checked won't have and clam, squid, or octopus until later in the week so I will mix those separately. That way I can feed something different for each feeding. I fed the trigger some 2 times today already and he went to town on it. I bet before he goes in the display tank he will be eating out of my hand. Also, he looks way better today, the lympho is nearly all gone and his eyes are clear.

hatessushi

Well there was a turn for the worse. He didn't eat at all on Wednesday or Thursday. He came out this morning (friday) and ate but he has had a recurrence of the lympho with a little more on his body. I couldn't see him for 2 days since he wedged his trigger between the bottom and top of his tunnel fixture. He might not have liked the water change I did. Although I tested the water before and after as well as the new water, the PH, temp, and salinity were all the same. At least he ate today so a few more day we'll see if it helps.

hatessushi

The bottom of the tank is clear but has sand on it. It's black sand like in the DT. Today i covered the sides and the front so maybe if he is alone and the traffic in the area won't be so stressfull.
Actually the picture above shows the tank with no substrate on the bottom. I put the sand in right after that so he was without sand for only about a day. It was non-live black sand.

hatessushi

Well my Trigger passed away this morning. He was respirating rather hard earlier then he got all anxious and tried to jump the tank. He then turn over on his side and got this brown film all over his body and finally quit.
My water parameters were;
SG - 1.024
ammonia -0
nitrites - 0
nitrates - 20 to 40
temp - 80
PH - 7.7
I haven't checked the alk yet. It looks to me like there was a PH drop overnight. It's at 7.7 now but first thing this morning is was at 7.5. I think that's what killed him. I had buffered the water yesterday but I guess it didn't hold. i was going to do a water change today but I guess it is moot point now. I knew I should not have continued using the new bucket of Tropic Marin. Oh well, my first fish death in QT no less. I took him to the LFS to determine credit since I had it for 10.5 days. :notsure: