trying my hand at raising Coral Banded Shrimp

krazekajin

I purchased a mated pair of CBS that I had been watching in my LFS for months. They were true mated pair as evidenced by the very regular show of eggs on the female. After buying the pair, they ceased to produce eggs for over three months. Yesterday, I noticed the female carrying eggs.
I have been doing lots of research and I am going to be trying to raise these. I beleive that it is within my reach to do so.
I am open to any and all suggestions. I will be documenting my success or my failure for all to see.

groupergenius

I'll be watching. I am also trying this. I posted a while back about it. Not alot of response. I think it's going to be very difficult and time consuming.
My female has eggs every few weeks. So far it's becoming coral feed. You will definitely have to put the pair in a filterless tank and let them get used to it before they breed again. The babies are basically plankton. And will be hard to see, let alone feed.
Please keep me posted if you go through with it.

krazekajin

The tank is going to be a 10g green water tank with only airpumps. i will have a good supply of copepods as well as feeding small artemia.
Look at the issue of Coral Magazine, it is either the OCT/NOV 2007 or DEC/JAN2007 for a great article on raising shrimp. I am going to try an document this for future reference. I am a member of the Toledo Reef Club in Toledo, OH. One of our people has a group of Cleanershrimp that survived in his tank from eggs. He was not even trying to raise them. So, I konw that it can be done.

krazekajin

Originally Posted by sepulatian
I will be very interested to see how this works out. Please keep us posted.
I am in the process of ordering phyto from Florida Aqua Farms. I also found an incredible article on Melev's Reef about raising Phyto. So, I am just waiting. The eggs should hatch around January 7-9. I should have everything ready by then.

krazekajin

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
yes please keep us posted, and add pics of the setups and everything, suonds very interesting!
An Update:
I had to go to St. Louis for a funeral so I was unable to isolate my female and eggs before I had to leave. This was an unexpected trip. So, I am back to square one. However, the good news is that I should be really prepared for the next batch of eggs. I have green water that should be on its way soon as well as the hatching tank and rotifers.
So, as the next batch comes available, I will keep everyone posted.

t316

KrazeKajin said:
An Update:
However, the good news is that I should be really prepared for the next batch of eggs. I have green water that should be on its way soon as well as the hatching tank and rotifers.
What is "green water"?

sh00tist

'green water' is live phyto-plankton which can be fed to many corals,in addition rottifers eat phyto and 'pods' eat rotifers along with many other creatures including juvenile fish and crustaceans so if you want a lot of pods and/or wish to raise any sort of fish green water is a good place to start. Or watch the Lion King again its all in the circle of life.

krazekajin

That is right. I will be recieving a culture of algea next week. I will start raising my own phytoplankton and also rotifers. This will get me ready for the next batch of eggs.