Turnover Question

doboy

I posted this in the New Hobbyist section, but I thought Equipment would be more appropriate.
I bought a Sea swirl 3/4" to hook up to my pump (500 gph). In a previous thread, a few suggested I didn't have enough turnover. I guess I would have to agree with that. When talking about turnover, are we talking gph through the filter, or gph of total water movement?
In other words, I bought a wet/dry for my 55 capable of running a 125 (according to the specs). It came with a 500 GPH Max drive 5 pump. That's only about a 9X turnover.
I realize I need additional water movement. What would be the best means of improving it?
Would I have to get, say, another 500 GPH pump and hook it up separately? I was thinking of replacing the loc line hose with a pvc spreader running the length of the tank for the water pumping out of the sump. I could then use the other pump to run the Sea Swirl.
If i did that, where would the other pump go? I wouldn't think that the siphon box could handle the additional water draw -- or could it?
Thanks,
Jim

jdm_ae86

I would leave it how it is and buy another mag 5 to run it on the sea swirl, buy more power heads is an option too. all depends on how much turnover you want, id go no less than 15x

doboy

Thanks, but what would be the best way?
Would I run another intake into the sump, or just run tubing from the tank-through the pump-and out of the Sea Swirl? I believe that's a closed circuit -- am I correct?

jdm_ae86

there so much options..
get another sea swirl, use one big pump (about 1400 gph at 0' head) to power the two sea swirls, and get a few more(about 2) powerheads..
or leave the wet/dry alone, get another mag 5 for the sea swirl, and get more(about 3) powerheads
or power the sea swirl off of the wet/dry's pump, and get more(3-4) powerheads..
there a lot more ways to do it, just use your imagination..