Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150

ejensen

Does anyone have Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150? I am looking to get one and not sure what kind of pump to use. They say the flow should be 30 gals a hour. I have a rio 600 sitting around and I am wondering if this would be too big of a pump. Any input would be great.

tx reef

The Rio 600 would be too big (unless you can adjust the flow quite a bit).
I use a Maxi-Jet 400 (about half the power of the Rio 600) on my reactor. You do not want a lot of flow going in to the reactor.....I would go with a MJ 400........

al mc

TX is right. Go with a gentler flow. While there are foam filters present in the reactor to lessen the chance that some of the absorptive material will get back into the DT you do not want to take that chance. Also the phospahates are absorbed best when you have the water go through the bed slower. I have one for both of my larger DT's and feel that they work well.

ejensen

Thanks for the help. I'll go with the MJ 400. What about the brand of media. I mainly use seachem products but there phosphate media is totally different from two little fishies and Rowa. There is also the AquaC reactor. Has anyone had any experence with them. It looks like a new product. It also holds more media.

ejensen

ok, I bought the Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150. I used the mini jet 404 as a pump. I had to turn it down. Now this is my problem. With zero experence with a Phosban Reactor I'm not sure if this is possible. Before I installed it my phoshates were 1.0. After 1 week I tested and it came out to .05. That was last weekend. I just tested today and it came out .5. Now is it possible that my media is already exhausted. Thats going to be expensive if the media only last a few weeks.

halberd

The media should just show a little movement on the top. Not bouncing all over the place wildly and should last a year or more. I also have the 150 and have had very good experience with it.

ejensen

I have it set very low. There isn't any media floating. The media is just rumbling on the top. I'll test again tomorrow.

salt_water

I have the Phos-reactor, and it works very well. Change the media about every 8 months depending on water quality. I use a Rio 180 on mine, and it works great. It comes with a valve to restrict flow. A Rio 90 or Rio 50 would work also. Good luck.