UH, i BLEW UP an aptasia... am i gonna have a TON of them?

blitz99

so, i decided to inject one of my three aptasia with boiling water.... when i stuck him with the syringe he closed up but i figured, heck i'll just inject him anyway... and he "exploded"..
i'm dreading seeing a thousand of them.. is this what happens? do they grow back from tiny bits?

bang guy

Each cell of an Aiptasia has the potential to become a new Anemone. The typical Aiptasia only has half a Billion cells though so you can't have any more than that.

squidd

So what are you saying...Scrubbing them off with a toothbrush is not a good idea...?? :D

larrynews

ihave a coral banded shrimp and about 4 peppermints and 2 cleaners and i have never seen them fight...hth
larrynews

sergeant

Ive gotten one of those as a hitch-hiker in a bunch of caulerpa. Thinking it was a small anemone I put it in my tank. 5 minutes after I realized what I have done so I grabed a piece of hose inserted it one end in the filters intake and put the other end right on top of the aiptasia. She was holding on for her life for about 3 hours opened inside the hose so I took a small J hook and broke off the piece of rock where she got attached to. Once they get in a hole they are tuff little guys to remove. :happyfish

T

tuningvis

i dont think your were suppose to give it a injection... more just a shot in the mouth with the hot water like not entering the anenomes body ... just so it has no choice but to suck on it...
but either way
:hilarious
:hilarious

T

tuningvis

they are a pest anenome .... like having a rat in your house or termites(sp)
they nneed the orkin man...
aptasia just needs boiling water... it kills dem bitches on da' spot

T

tuningvis

in it's mouth.... i did with mine .. and it killed him fine..