Unique Situation and time constraint

srgvigil

Hey everyone,
It's been just over two years since I've posted on this site. Guess college can do that to you. Quick update on the tank: it's running well and most everything has been stable for the past two years.
I need your help with something, however. Long story short, a guy my dad worked for over 20 years in the fire department is dying and it's pretty much guaranteed he has only two months left to live (liver failure). Something he has always wanted is a salt water fish tank, and my dad wants to set one up for him for his last two months. But, my dad also wants me to set it up for him since I have the most experience.
The tank is 150 gallons and for filtration it's going to have a sump, a protein skimmer, and a mud base in the sump. The rocks will already be colonized when we set it up.
The problem is: I know that setting up the type of tank we want to set up will take more than two months if you do it the right way, but I need it set up in like a week.
My plan right now is to set it up with a light bioload (with a 150 gallon tank, this should be simple) and have more hardy fish in it. I know this isn't the right way to do it, and it goes against how I always set up tanks, but the situation calls for it, if that makes sense?
A bunch of guys from the department are pooling money together, so technically I have an unlimited budget, but I want to keep it reasonable.
Any suggestions?
Edit: Forgot to mention that we're tearing down the tank after he passes away, it'll be too much work for his wife to take care of.

tirtza

Wow, this is an incredible thing you and your dad are doing for your friend!! I wish I was experienced enough to give you some helpful advice. I just wanted to let you know that I think it's really admirable what you guys are doing :)

srgvigil

That's already part of the plan. We've been going to our LFS for about five years now so we have a good relationship with the owners. We've talked to them about the situation and they're really working with us on it. They've made us a deal on live rock where we're basically renting it for 99 cents a pound, and giving it back after we tear down the tank, they're also going to purchase back all the fish/invertebrates/ and coral.

snakeblitz33

Use fully cured live rock and some old (kept wet) filters from an established reef tank to the sump and that will keep it cycled with a light bioload at first.
To help with ammonia and everything, cram in as much macroalgae in the sump as you can and put a really strong light over it. This will help keep everything in check short term and long term Depending on your display tank lighting, you could go ahead and start adding corals the same week. Ive done this before for clients,... It can be done. He would have a pretty solid month and a half of view time.
I admire you and your dad for what your doing. Sorry that it had to be under these circumstances.

gemmy

PM Saxman for the name of a good bacteria supplement to use.
I have a question, instead of tearing down the tank can you donate it to a school in his honor? Perhaps, like a college that has a good biology department. I think it is amazing what you are doing.

S

saxman

If you get in a pinch, you can use Super-bac (we've done this for emergency QT's), however, with any of the bottled preparations, do realize that dumping a huge bioload into a new setup, bottled bacteria or no, may tax the biofiltration to its limits.