upgrading 55 to 125

yello tang

I am going to purchase a 125 RR in the next few days. Here is what I plan to do fill the tank with 4 to 6 inces of southdown, get 2 boxes of LR and then let cycle. After the cycle is complete empty my 55 with about 80 to 90lbs of LR. into the new 125. would the new 125 go into another cycle after adding the 55 gals rock. I also have 20 or so corals (lps,polyps,shrooms) my fish are yellow tang,cb angel,yt damsel i think he may go back to the lfs. Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated

buzz

If you are moving sand over, do it gradually to avoid any spikes. But if you are moving cured live rock from your other tank, I don't see why you can't just add it. It shouldn't be a problem.

nm reef

I've got plans to up-grade my 55 to a larger system also....if it ever happens I intend to set-up the new display and let it cycle with new DSB and a few boxs of un-cured lr. After it cycles I'd move my fish over....then move my 55's LR over...then if all is still stable transfer the 50 or so corals to the new display. I have room to temp. keep my 55 going while I take my time to transfer...and like you I don't plan to use my 55's ls in the new display....maybe add it to my refugium slowly after the new display cycles. I say the key is to take the time to develope the new 125 and be patient...sounds like you've got a decent plan together for your up-grade.:cool:

mlm

I am in the process right now of switching my 55 to a 120 gallon tank. What I have done is add 220 pounds of live sand and about 75 pounds of cured live rock from someones tank. I set it all up on 12-28-02 and I threw in a couple of pieces of krill to start a cycle but I have yet to see any ammonia. I am going to give it another 2 weeks or so to see if it will cycle or not then I will start tranfering my corals over. I don't know what I am going to do with my old sand bed but I have put of few cups of it into my new tank. I plan on putting a few more over the next week or so.