Upside down jelly Fish

richie1742

AT my local LFS they had two upside down jelly fish for 20$ and they said they are totally photosythetic, my question is are they reef safe and is it true they only need light? they look so cool

chris57

they need zooplankton.they aren't reef safe and their poisonous. Also they are difficult to keep. but their pretty cheap.

chris57

also most jellyfish need large circular tanks with a strong flow away from the sides, this is because jellyfish are very delicate and if they hit the side of a tank then they could get injured, and stressed, also most jelly fish's lifespan's are only a few months at best.

krazekajin

chirs,
The upside down jelly fish don't really move. They rest on the bottom. They are very photosythetic, but they can catch food with thier small tenticles that float upwards. I believe that they are reef safe in the sense that they do not hunt for food. I do not know what would happen if a fish blundered into this short tenticles. I have heard of some people putting them in thier photosynthetic refugium.

mr. guitar

Upside Down Jellyfish are awesome!!!! As everyone has said they are photosythetic. I've never had one but I do know a lot about them. They will eat almost anything that comes in contact with their tenticals...Well, anything that's "big" enough for them to consume. I would say they are and aren't reef safe. That's because different corals have different levels of being stung. What I mean is...the Jellyfish could kill some corals because of it's stining tenticals and others it wouldn't bother. They don't sting much...humans that is anyway. It's hard to describe what they feel like when the sting.