UV Sterilizer and PH

scsinet

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
It kills parasites, bacteria, algea and other living things that are in the water column.
It's probably worth mentioning that they do this when used properly, which most units are not.

durgeonman

Originally Posted by SCSInet
It's probably worth mentioning that they do this when used properly, which most units are not.
how true this is...

wwfstyle

Used properly? Waht you mean by that? Water going through to fast or something? Never read about it but seen it in magazines. Would this stuff take care of hair algae? Huge propblem with that right now. Thinking of starting my tank over.

scsinet

Originally Posted by wwfstyle
Used properly? Waht you mean by that? Water going through to fast or something? Never read about it but seen it in magazines. Would this stuff take care of hair algae? Huge propblem with that right now. Thinking of starting my tank over.
The best way to address algae growing in the tank are natural predators, such as tangs, blennies, hermit crabs, urchins, etc.
You are exactly right though... the most frequent improper application is people who place the unit directly on their return line, when the unit is not rated for that type of flow.
The faster you flow water through, the less effective it becomes. You need very slow flow to kill big stuff like parasites, slightly faster flow will still take out algae, and faster than that will take out bacteria, but most people run them too fast even for that. I recommend that people either use a dedicated pump with a closed loop in their sump or tap off the return line with a ball valve and additional return so they can adjust the flow through their unit.