UV Sterilizers - What's a good one

hatessushi

I'm looking for a good UV sterilizer. Anyone have recommendations of a good one and also those to stear clear of?

L

lpuzon

they told me to use aqua 15w, so that's what i bought! no complains though!

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
Was it people on this site that told you that? What size tank do you have?

yup! i have a 72 and i haven't have problems with it. i only run it for like 6 hours or so.. i actually just got it. since i have ich outbreak in my tank.

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Aqua Ultraviolet.......UV's aren't a cure for ick IMO!!!!!

i know that, acrylic51. actually, i have a thread, the hypo journal , which covers my hyposalinity from day 0 till now. i'm on to anything right now, as u see. i still have ich on my fishes regardless of the hypo. had a problem here and there. so, when they said a uv can help, i thought it wouldn't hurt trying!

sleasia

I use a coralife turbo twist 12x 36 watt on my ?200...I leave it on 24/7. its connected to its own little closed loop thing with a smaller quiet one pump...I beleive in uv's. they are not a cure...but they do help control disease and certainly help curtail the growth of unwanted algaes....I actually bought a kid's microscope to look at the water, and guess what, I saw a number of dead anchor worms...dead probably because of the uv. Its kindof like a person taking vitamin c...you do it to help your immune system ward off diseases, but vitamin c is not going to keep you from getting a cold. You may still get the cold, but not as bad. Your tank may still get ich introduced, but its spread may be curtailed by using a uv...I qt all fish for 3-4 weeks in hypo, use r/o water, use a uv 24/7, and supplement diet with garlic and vitamin c and other vitamin supplements for the fish. I use a chiller in the summer months and try to keep very constant water conditions in the tank. I have a number of ich eaters: a cleaner wrasse, two skunk cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp...One
"secret weapon" alone is probably not enough...you need the combination of these things to create an arsenal against ich...IMO. But so far this combo seems to work...my fish have been ich free for months probably a year now.(and I probably shouldn't have said this outloud)

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by sleasia
I use a coralife turbo twist 12x 36 watt on my ?200...I leave it on 24/7. its connected to its own little closed loop thing with a smaller quiet one pump...I beleive in uv's. they are not a cure...but they do help control disease and certainly help curtail the growth of unwanted algaes....I actually bought a kid's microscope to look at the water, and guess what, I saw a number of dead anchor worms...dead probably because of the uv. Its kindof like a person taking vitamin c...you do it to help your immune system ward off diseases, but vitamin c is not going to keep you from getting a cold. You may still get the cold, but not as bad. Your tank may still get ich introduced, but its spread may be curtailed by using a uv...I qt all fish for 3-4 weeks in hypo, use r/o water, use a uv 24/7, and supplement diet with garlic and vitamin c and other vitamin supplements for the fish. I use a chiller in the summer months and try to keep very constant water conditions in the tank. I have a number of ich eaters: a cleaner wrasse, two skunk cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp...One
"secret weapon" alone is probably not enough...you need the combination of these things to create an arsenal against ich...IMO. But so far this combo seems to work...my fish have been ich free for months probably a year now.(and I probably shouldn't have said this outloud)

i'm putting my spgh back to normal now. when it's all good, then i'll do ur combo. make sense too!

hatessushi

sleasia, I am so glad you did say that because it makes perfect sense.
At this point I am looking at the JBJ sterilizer since it is submersible and looks like it would fit my sump nicely. anyone have any opinions about this uv sterilizer?