Wall Pack Metal Halide --------------

kellenr

Has anyone ever modified a 'wall pack' style metal halide fixture to work for an aquarium? I know you'd have to change the reflector and remount the mogul but is it possible?

mr_x

actually, you don't have to change the reflector, or change the sockets if you use hqi lamps, which is what is in that fixture, but...would you like to see that over your tank for the small amount of savings you are going to experience?
how would you mount it? on the wall? or would you hang it over the tank from some home-made apparatus, that you'll need to explain to your guests? plus, who knows about the ballast.
you are also not going to want that glass cover over the front, but, you will need a cover, so, you'll need to create one.
i ran through these same ideas when i first got into reefkeeping. i used one of these-

early on ...with extended wiring, and a batwing reflector. it looked like total crap, and it hummed like a jar full of bees. the light was 129.00, and i had to buy a new bulb, because it came with a 3000k lamp. what did i save?

kellenr

Yeah. I was thinking of taking it apart and 'retro fitting' it inside my canopy, no outer housing or lens, just the guts and bulb. One of my neighbors has one to get rid of, not sure how $$$ yet.

jimvette1

Originally Posted by KellenR
http:///forum/post/2703654
Yeah. I was thinking of taking it apart and 'retro fitting' it inside my canopy, no outer housing or lens, just the guts and bulb. One of my neighbors has one to get rid of, not sure how $$$ yet.
There is no doubt that it will work to some degree. I guess it will depend on the price of the fixture if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.
Mr.X brought up very some good points.

Just a few more questions: What Wattage is the wallpack?
You will need a new bulb, check prices.
How old is the wallpack/used?
The reason I ask, is the ballast still good?
To go through everything you need to do to "make this work" you don't want to have a ballast go bad in 6 weeks.
Hope this helps.....Jim

kellenr

The wall pack is a little used but looks almost new still. The guy has 3 of them, with multi-tap ballasts. He said they're from a 'store' that his company installed lighting for. He's only asking $40 each for the wall pack, current bulb and ballast. I'd of course get a nice expensive bulb. You think I should give this a shot, I mean I guess the worst case I'm out $40 and maybe could sell it on the bay.

grue

If your going that inexpensive why not use a shop light? I seen one at a local auto shop for 14.00 it was 500w MH indoor/outdoor. Totally sealed with a base you could mount anywhere. It also had a double ended bulb. What color I havent a clue. But at that price who cares?
I considered using one in the sump.
My 2 cents
Grue

mr_x

i would like to see a link to that. i think you are thinking of a halogen unit. just a ballast kit alone for an industrial MH is 40 bucks or so.

jimvette1

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2704142
i would like to see a link to that. i think you are thinking of a halogen unit. just a ballast kit alone for an industrial MH is 40 bucks or so.
+1
Or maybe HPS.
I bet they didn't cost your friend a dime.
I have many lights from tear-outs at jobs that didn't cost me anything either.
You know, its your call. You will have at least $100.00 (don't forget a bulb)or so in it before your done.
Make sure you see the ballast fire up before you buy it. Remember buyer beware!

flricordia

and if it is HQI and not screwin type bulb you will need a uv absobing glass between the lamp and the tank or you will fry the corals and it could cause eye damge if you were to look at it without the glass sheild.
Also you will need to note, if it is screwin type, whether it is mogul base or medium base type bulb.
If it is medium base you may have to make sure that the aquarium bulb you buy is able to be ignited with the type ballst in the wall mount. Also make sure it is a common wattage.
Aquarium bulbs do not come readily in 50wt and 75wt, 500wt wattages that some of the wall mount MH fixtures use, etc...
OK, reread your post and you said mogul so make sure it is a wattage that you can buy an aquarium bulb for.