Water Changes For A 55 Gallon

drf0524

At my LFS I was told to do 15 gallon water changes weekly. I have been doing that for about 1 month.,
Is that to much to do weekly?
If that is to much can someone tell me how much to do weekly?
Thanks for you help!

milty

I have a 55gal reef,and i do 5% weekly that for me anyway works out great.my brother also does the same with no problems. good luck

turningtim

Its a debatable subject but, I would say it really depends on bio-load of the tank. If you are nearing being overstocked then you may have to do more gallons more fequently. A light load can go longer. I would pay attention to the tests you are donig and go from there. 15% w/ the proper amount of LR and LS (bio-filtration) is a little much. I'm pretty much maxed out in my 55 and I only do 10% a week. This works for me.
Becareful doing big changes b/c you're really messing with the water chemistry.
HTH
Tim

clown52

I have a 55g with a 25g (about) sump. I would say that 15g is too much in your case, unless you are overstocked. I change about 7g a week. 15 would really mess with my levels. :joy:
If you are doing 15g on a 55g tank that is almost a 25% change every week.

aufishman

Originally Posted by drf0524
At my LFS I was told to do 15 gallon water changes weekly. I have been doing that for about 1 month.,
Is that to much to do weekly?
If that is to much can someone tell me how much to do weekly?
Thanks for you help!
You're probably not going to hurt anything, but you're wasting money and time. As long as your bioload is fine, 15 gallons every other week should be more than adequate.

drf0524

Well that is the thing.. I am a bit over stocked.. That is one of the reason's that my nitrates are at 10. I think that I am going to start doing a 10 gallon water change weekly.. I think that my levels are getting messed with. Is a 10 gallon water change better? What I mean is that will that mess with my levels?

turningtim

It shouldn't! Thats about what I do and it works for me. Trates at 10 is not bad. Of course 0 is better but still 10 is not bad.
HTH
Tim

aufishman

Originally Posted by drf0524
Well that is the thing.. I am a bit over stocked.. That is one of the reason's that my nitrates are at 10. I think that I am going to start doing a 10 gallon water change weekly.. I think that my levels are getting messed with. Is a 10 gallon water change better? What I mean is that will that mess with my levels?

10 ppm NO3 is nothing. You've got nothing to worry about.