water flow question and lighting question

ajer

I am planning on upgrading the flow in my 24 gallon tank, as I am working towards adding some soft corals. Would it be better to upgrade my pump from 300 GPH to 1000 GPH or to add 2 230 GPH powerheads?
And is 80 watts of PC lighting enough for these corals?

Soft Corals:
1 Purple Tree Coral
1 Neon Pineapple Tree Coral or 1 Taylor's Tree Coral
1- Taro Tree Coral
1- Evergreen Starburst Polyp
1- Silver Branch Pumping Xenia

guppie

the 2 power heads would work, but if you are like me I hate them in my tank, how are you returning the water to your tank?

ajer

I have changed the plan a bit. I am going to get 1 600 GPH Hydor Korola to go on the opposite side of the tank from the pump's return instead of the 2 Maxi Jets. Also i think i am going to add a Red Australian Big Polyp Blasstomussa.

mr_x

i would stick with the maxijets. they are much smaller, and it's better to have less flow coming from 2 areas, than more flow coming from one.
now, if i'm not mistaken, "tree corals" are not photosynthetic and are extremely difficult to keep alive in closed systems. look up "carnation coral".
but to answer your question, that light is fine for those things you mentioned.

ajer

"Purple Tree Coral is sometimes referred to as Broccoli Coral, Branch, or Cauliflower Coral. They are Purple to Blue slender branching tree-like Soft corals that are ideal for the beginner reef aquarists. The parent colony of these coral frags were originally collected in Indonesia, and were maintained in-house, and then quarantined and given a health inspection before being propagated.
The Purple Tree Coral relies on the symbiotic algae within it for food, but will benefit from the addition of microplankton, marine snow, and dissolved organic materials to round out its diet in the home reef aquarium."
Copyed From ***********.com
Also
"Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Lighting: Moderate
Waterflow: Medium to Strong
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, sg 1.023-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4
Color Form: Tan, Yellow
Supplements: Strontium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Family: Nephtheidae"
Copyed From ***********.com
Species:
Stereonepthya sp.

Maybe you were thinking of somthing else such as:
Carnation Tree Coral
(Dendronephthya sp.)

This Coral is categorized as "Expert Only"
I am staying VERY far away from this coral.

mr_x

yes, i was. to tell you the truth, i've never heard of stereonepthya sp. i tried doing a search on it, and the live aquaria link was one of the few that gave any sort of specs about it.

mr_x

i don't know. it's pretty amazing that they are the only ones that offer this coral, and have any information about it.