Water Level Too High?

meathead

Hello everyone,
Can the water level be too high for oxygen exchange to occur? I filled my tank to the top after doing a water change. I have the top closed in tight so there is only about 1/4" between the water and the cover. Is that enough for a proper exchange if the circulation is good?
Thanks in advance
- Joe

meathead

Thanks for the quick reply but I'm horrible with acronyms. Are you saying that there's enough room for a good exchange?
Thanks again

dragonzim

I'd remove the glass tops if I were you. They inhibit gas exchange even with a few inches of space between the top and the water surface. If you have any fish that may jump go to your local home improvement store and get the eggcrate that earlybird mentioned. You can find it in the lighting section. It's called lighting diffuser and is made for ceiling mounted fluorescent lighting fixtures.

snakeblitz33

wow, I never thought of doing that! Neat! Just make sure that your eel can't fit through one of the squares. :D

srfisher17

The glass tops may be needed to protect many brands of fluorescent lighting; mainly the lower price strip lights. You can always mix the eggcrate mentioned by DragonZim with glass if you need to.