What's an affordable, reliable varmint rifle?

My grandfather is now in his late 80's, and is having trouble with either gophers or groundhogs on his property. He has an ancient .22 long rifle that he used to use regularly (and take care of). He called yesterday and said he couldn't get his rifle to fire, so I checked it out and the thing is a mess. Like a mess to the point where I don't want to even bother trying to get it back into good shape. I've been considering picking up a rifle anyways, so this would be as good a time as any, so we both can use it.

With that being said, I have a friend in LE who can get me his price on a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport. It retails for around $700, I can get it for about $520. From the looks of it, it's a .223/5.56 round. That's probably a little overkill for varmint, but the price would be absolutely right.

As someone who has never owned either a rifle, or a Smith and Wesson product, do you all have any thoughts?

2quills

I had an old colt .22 rifle a looong time ago. Great varmit gun. I'd probably stick with .22 caliber if a varmit gun is what you're wanting. Though, someone else may have a different opinion. Last I heard .22 long rounds were hard to come by these days.

darthtang aw

.22 is still on the hard to find list. But not as bad as it was.
Clemson that rifle is solid. Especially at that price. But for small varmints it might get a bit expensive and may be overkill. But for the price you cant go wrong at all.
For small varmints like that smith and wesson makes a .22 version of the same rifle. Should run you about 350. I bought one for my wife. She wanted an ar style weapon but just for target shooting and without the "kick". I bought her one for her bithday a couple year back. Even put roses inside the box and told her i bought her a rock band for her birthday. Lol. She loves it, the kids can shoot it. My ten year old wants one for himself. He wants to graduate from his single shot cricket rifle. Lol. Smih and wesson makes a solid affordable product in their AR platforms. It is t as good as some others, but for a basic you cant go wrong.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/397705/whats-an-affordable-reliable-varmint-rifle#post_3545827

As someone who has never owned either a rifle, or a Smith and Wesson product, do you all have any thoughts?

That's a nice price but I would suggest spending some extra time shooting until you're proficient (if already are, sorry, no insult intended), and then fire a variety of rifles. They all fit just a little different and it should be comfortable on you.

The .22 LR is a much smaller round. Much, much smaller.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397705/whats-an-affordable-reliable-varmint-rifle#post_3545873
.22 is still on the hard to find list. But not as bad as it was.
Clemson that rifle is solid. Especially at that price. But for small varmints it might get a bit expensive and may be overkill. But for the price you cant go wrong at all.
For small varmints like that smith and wesson makes a .22 version of the same rifle. Should run you about 350. I bought one for my wife. She wanted an ar style weapon but just for target shooting and without the "kick". I bought her one for her bithday a couple year back. Even put roses inside the box and told her i bought her a rock band for her birthday. Lol. She loves it, the kids can shoot it. My ten year old wants one for himself. He wants to graduate from his single shot cricket rifle. Lol. Smih and wesson makes a solid affordable product in their AR platforms. It is t as good as some others, but for a basic you cant go wrong.

My everyday varmint gun is a .22 air rifle.

For larger pests or for small game I have a lower end Marlin .22lr. It's perfectly adequate and can be purchased for well under $200, closer to $100.

For the zombie apocalypse, unfortunately dad's .50 sniper rifle isn't legal in NY so I have a gap. I have to keep it in South Carolina. Your wife would not enjoy shooting it.... lol

reefraff

Clemson, I'd look at a good air rifle to start with (as Bang mentioned) They will take out coyote if you place the shot just right (I wouldn't advise trying that) and are more forgiving in the event of a errant shot. Once you get good with that get yourself a real gun :)

If you want to go with the 22 a Ruger 10/22 is great and you can even Rambo it up if you decide you want to. Mossburg and Marlin have some semi auto 22's as well that are more affordable but will get the job done.

Another option is a 22 mag. I have an old Harrington and Richards lever model, That's a gofer assassination tool extraordinaire.

darthtang aw

For the zombie apocalypse, unfortunately dad's .50 sniper rifle isn't legal in NY so I have a gap.  I have to keep it in South Carolina.  Your wife would not enjoy shooting it....  lol
She fired one once. from a laydown position obviously. It was enough to nix any thoughts of ever having one in the house. Just to damn big. And I don't hunt elephant....lol...her words, not mine. I am sure the price tage had some influence with that as well. 6 dollars a trigger pull gets expensive.

bang guy

You can pick up a .22lr probably cheaper than a good air gun but the pellet gun is going to be very cheap to fire. The .22 isn't going to be outrageous either but bang for the buck an air rifle is cheaper over the long run if you like to practice.

I prefer the .22 air rifles over the .177 because they are quieter and deliver a little more punch over a distance.

snakeblitz33

They do make high power air rifles that can take down large game as well.
I like a .22 air rifle. Gammo makes some pretty decent break barrel, spring loaded rifles. If you do go the air rifle route, keep in mind that the double action of the gun shooting causes you to have to actually practice with it. Also, you have to buy a pellet rifle scope, any old rifle scope won't do. The pellet rifle scopes are made to handle the double action of the gun shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/397705/whats-an-affordable-reliable-varmint-rifle#post_3546047
22 ammo is actually a pain to find and expensive in some areas right now.
I went to the local firearms place last night, and that was exactly what the guy there said. While he thinks a .22 long rifle would be good for what I want, he thinks something that fires a .223/5.56 round would make more sense in the current climate, especially when it comes to getting rounds. Says the .223/5.56 guns would be a little more than I need, but not so much that it would be something to stay away from. I think I am just gonna snag the M&P 15 Sport at the discounted price.

reefraff

Yeah, and if you want you can get a conversion kit to allow you to shoot 22 rounds out of that gun if you want to do some cheap plinking once the 22 shortage is over.
He he,,, You can also get a kit to shoot 50 caliber out of it too.

darthtang aw

22 ammo is actually a pain to find and expensive in some areas right now. 
Down here it isn't hard to find, but is double the price it used to be a year ago. But you are still comparing 12 dollars for 100 rounds to 40 dollars for 100 rounds.
The conversion kits are nice.I have the chiappa arms conversion. changes out the barrel as well. Ran about 350. thge magazine and bolt only conversion will run about 125. but they aren't as accurate and occasionally have jamming issues.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397705/whats-an-affordable-reliable-varmint-rifle#post_3545985
She fired one once. from a laydown position obviously. It was enough to nix any thoughts of ever having one in the house. Just to damn big. And I don't hunt elephant....lol...her words, not mine. I am sure the price tage had some influence with that as well. 6 dollars a trigger pull gets expensive.

Yep, at $10 a round you don't want to take more than a couple shots to sight it in. I've had a few 500 yard shots with it, it's kinda cool to hit something you can't actually see without magnification. Other than that I actually have no issue with it being illegal here. For me it's more of a novelty. Useless for home protection until the zombie apocalypse.

darthtang aw

Yep, at $10 a round you don't want to take more than a couple shots to sight it in.  I've had a few 500 yard shots with it, it's kinda cool to hit something you can't actually see without magnification.  Other than that I actually have no issue with it being illegal here.   For me it's more of a novelty.  Useless for home protection until the zombie apocalypse. 
You could always just walk down the hallway holding it. Most likely would scare the bejesus out of someone...lol

reefraff

I was dinging around window shopping on the interwebs today. Would you believe an AR in 30:06?
think I will :)

darthtang aw

I was dinging around window shopping on the interwebs today. Would you believe an AR in 30:06?  
think I will :)
That is interesting.............